VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM rotor seem to have a small hole near the same radius as the holes for set screws. Wat's that for? Some replacement rotors don't have it. I'm looking at Zimmermann (have it) vs Brembo (don't).
I'm replacing rotors and pads on my 2002 Jetta. The Maryland Inspector wrote that this newly bought car's LR pad is "1/32"! How the heck did it pass Virginia inspection before I bought it? Some shady dealer inspection.

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Its probably for balance, they are 5 stud wheels so you can't put them exactly opposite?

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
1/32"... sheesh... you should have at least a month's worth of driving left before that needs replacing... perhaps even 6 weeks...

Congratulations on the car! Now you get to take care of it... (hint: Many recommend that the timing belt system should be replaced ASAP on any new-to-you TDI unless you know for a fact that it's been properly done in the recent past... see the 1000q "How to" section...)

Yuri

PS: if you're not into changing timing belts, there's a fellow named Oliver Wegener in your area... very highly regarded...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, as long as the hole-less brembo works fine, which seems it should being OEM and balanced in factory, I'm gonna get those.
Hey thanks YMZ, I figured the belts were overdue for replacement and I got a member here, Matt from Virginia, to change the timing belt. The car actually had the original belt! 131K miles, no serious visible degradation: Lucky car and lucky owner. I got the dieselgeek.com kit and glad I did because Matt found seal leaks and pulley failures happening, and the kit had everything, good quality too I hear. Well, Matt was great but he got the fuel injector alignment wrong and I had to go to a garage and pay pretty bucks to fix that because I have no full Vag-com. I went to Mt. Washington Autohaus in Baltimore (the city I live in) and they treated me right. In hind sight I should have gone to Oliver but somehow he stopped talking to me after he suggested I leave the car with him over night to have it cool down, and I suggested I camp out in his backyard and watch how it's done the next day.

So I am taking a crash course on TDI maintenance here on myturbotdi.com, really leaning about taking care of the car. I pulled out an XM radio aftermarket gizmo that was likely giving me battery drain problem, changed all the filters except auto tranny which I will do after brake job. Today I polished the headlights with Mothers kit, washed and waxed. Car is good for a weekend night out!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Get the full Vag-Com. You will be amazed at the info you can extract about what is going on with your car and have fun changing it. Just be careful it's very powerful. :)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Get the full Vag-Com. You will be amazed at the info you can extract about what is going on with your car and have fun changing it. Just be careful it's very powerful. :)
Only if you can connect to everything lol, I still can't connect to the ccm.:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts