VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There, just joined because I think my VNT actuator is going for the second time or my turbo vanes are finally sticking (not sure how this is possible the way I drive!) and I wanted to double check the great (now exclusive) information over here.

Click the Narfmobile link in my signature for links to some of my favorite mods and how-to's.

See you around!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Welcome! I have heard of some turbos sticking due to the backing plate on the VNT actuator warping. I think my last turbo had this problem because there were a few scratches along the plate but cleaning it didn't make any difference.

IMHO, driving it hard (relatively) works because it burns out and blow out carbon build up. I did notice a little rust on the housing. There are also a few cases of the actuator lever wearing down which mine had too, which reminds me that I had some pics and details on how to repair the lever which I'll add today or tomorrow.

Edit: Or I might as well do it now :) The pics have been added to the VNT turbo disassembly article. One pic was added to the VNT adjustment article just to show what lever wear looks like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this mean that the theory that if you drive it hard it won't stick isn't true?
My car has 400,000km on it so it could be anything. I have to disconnect the actuator from the turbo to see if the actuator or the turbo is sticking. Hopefully it is the actuator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts