VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that members of TDIClub.com appear to be a different breed of person? Like angrier, more argumentative and downright mean in their forum postings?

I hate to think that people that are drawn to own our TDI's actually have personality flaws more-so than even just standard VW or even GTI owners, but I can't help but think that they actually do. Now I know that its easy for anyone to get a little carried away in a forum and say things that you'd likely never say if you actually knew the other people or were actually sitting face to face, but most VW forums such as Myturbodiesel are pretty tame and members don't seem to bash one another, call people names and just belittle them.

Help me put my mind at ease...is it just a few bad apples on that forum, is it the TDI owner or..... ?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Interesting question. Every forum has bad apples. Moderation style of some forums is to put trolls and bashers on a 24 hour ban. My criticism of moderation at the other forum is that it's laissez fair and at the same time biased. Hands off means hands off, not fair to some and childish to others. Pick one. One example was someone banned from posting in classifieds posting all these ads in the general forum and it being ignored by the mods because of some sort of dispute. It's also a large forum but long time members who've asked to be mods have been ignored. I don't know why so it's not possible to draw a conclusion. I'm not accepting mods but it's because traffic is light.

Typed words are also tone deaf and many people are thin skinned, right you numbskull? :) Adding a smiley could fix so many conflicts.

I don't bash the direct competitor forum for a few reasons. Other than being a positive and constructive person,

We're car clubs, not rival motorcycle gangs. I think there's room for more than 1 TDI specific forum. For those who only know of tdiclub, there are lots of car forums out there so please don't think it's the best website or forum in the universe. Many people still think the earth is flat and that witches cause seizures too.

I'm not offended at all if users post on both forums but I am certainly very annoyed when people ask questions about my material on another forum instead of asking the author on his site. I started this site as a simple FAQ mirror site for reference on what information answered my problem but decided to add original material and a forum. As more effort went into it, it's nice for the work to be appreciated by forum posts here instead of starting a new post on a competitor forum about my material. I often spend over 5 hours/day revising old writeups, keeping the info current, researching and doing site and forum upgrades. That's all I'll say about that.

If it's a reply to a question it's good since it helps to answer their question. But completely skipping my forum and staring a new post question elsewhere about my FAQ doesn't even make sense - wouldn't it be best for the author to see it? Every FAQ article even has a direct link to register on the forum.

Any forum is nothing without users but a good forum and website requires constant work. I'm constantly doing upgrades and small improvements. And there is more to a website than just a forum. I have not seen a detailed and standardized FAQ and pictoral "how to" articles like the ones on this site on any car forum anywhere. I'm sure there are plenty of mistakes but still, 100x less misinformation than you'll find in a forum, where anyone can give bad advice which is then archived or not corrected by others. Their management can do or not do whatever they want because it's their site. That's why I started my own site. In the end, they also have many good users which keep their community going, and I hope that a quality site like mine will gradually shift the large lurker-poster ratio around. From the website stats I can see website traffic:forum traffic is more unbalanced than usual because of the obstacle to forum growth mentioned earlier.

So thanks for the post!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think I speak for all, you have put together an awesome resource. A lot of potential questions are covered in the FAQ so that reduces the number of posts too.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that members of TDIClub.com appear to be a different breed of person? Like angrier, more argumentative and downright mean in their forum postings?
Since you post on both forums,.......
I will quote one of your own posts from Myturbodiesel

Please do not take this personally, or the wrong way but please only give advice on something that you can help someone out on and know something about. Your advise is not good, accurate, realistic or appear to show any level of expertise.
I would never give advice or recommendations on something that I am not a pro about and I suggest you doing the same.
So, look in a mirror Danny. :D
You have been "argumentative and downright mean" IMO.

Help me put my mind at ease...is it just a few bad apples on that forum, is it the TDI owner or..... ?
I'm no expert, but I would say that you will likely find people just like yourself on any internet forum.

Please remember this sage advise from our administrator.

Sportriderseattle, try adding a smiley face after your comment and it can prevent people from getting too offended. My goal is a friendly forum :) See how that works?
Have a wonderful day.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
135 Posts
Since you post on both forums,.......
I will quote one of your own posts from Myturbodiesel

So, look in a mirror Danny. :D
You have been "argumentative and downright mean" IMO.

I'm no expert, but I would say that you will likely find people just like yourself on any internet forum.

Please remember this sage advise from our administrator.

Have a wonderful day.

:thumbsup
This response shows me (and others likely) that you are just one of those people that "have to" put in their two cents no matter what and push others buttons. But, thanks for reminding me that there are so many people that feel compelled to post in forums in an attempt to express their opinion or show/convince others, possibly even themselves, that they are actually more intelligent than they actually are, instead of helping out that person that originally started the thread and is actually looking for expertise in a particular topic.

And who is Danny?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.