VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Your link in #7 is saying something about App being removed by user.
I had a report the other day saying the link had been deleted when it hadn't. I changed some settings in RapidShare and it worked. I've just tried to download that app and it won't I don't know why its stopped working again I will look into it. If you want this app in a hurry then PM me with your email address and I will send it direct.

Now RapidShare has been the best upload site that I've found. Last month they changed a few settings to download so I changed a few and they still worked.

I assure you there is no virus in this app. I'm sure that everything you download you virus and malware check it before you use it?

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Ok I've uploaded again so we have a new link in post #1 which works again, give it a try guys just to make sure it works for you.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Link works fine now. Thanks.

I downloaded it on my Macbook Pro and moved it to a Win 7 virtual machine I am running.

Worked great and I found my 2005 Passat TDI (BHW).

Thanks again and good work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Link worked great, thanks for the time and effort you put into it. I still have another 50k miles before my change, but here's to an early start! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this, most useful.

Have only just "discovered" this section of the forum, I really should scroll down further than the MK4 discussions more often :eek: or I would have downloaded it much earlier!

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Your welcome svas60.

Its only been downloaded 20 times and very few comments. I've also added a few more codes so there are now 7907 but I haven't uploaded it yet

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I get on my PC not my phone I'm going to download it and have a play as we have a few veedubs between us. I will comment as and when I can. But in the meantime thank you for the effort you are making to get this to happen. Is there a link in the 1000 FAQs where itxsay s timing belt change at x miles do this oh and by the way there's this great download. I didn't know it existed till 4 mins ago when I stumbled on the post. Yes I am still bed ridden hence the amount of time I am spending researching the jobs I know I need to do when my beetle arrives from up north. My buddy is testing it up there before bringing it down in a couple of weeks. Yeah

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Keith had a chnce to download and play with the timing belt app you created. Obviously I have not acually changed the belt due to circumstances mentioned before. The app itself is very good and I recommend other to look it over. I have a couple of items but I am not sure if this is the place but due to the time difference I will put them in here and if its inappropriate I can edit them out or a MOD can (as they obviously have nothing better to due then clean up after idiots). Anyway 1 is a question, 1 is a suggestion.

So question when you launch the app next to the box that is the drop down for the make there is another box that appears to have the number 4 in it. This doesnt seem to change if you select Seat, Skoda or VW so I assume ifthere is a larger app this is to do with parent group ie VAG. I supposed it doesnt really matter but I like to know stuff even if it makes no difference (to the user experience).

Suggestion I really like the abbreviation dialogue box that can be brought up. Is there anyway there could be a key for the numbers. I know they are in the text but something like
1 - Timing belt upper cover
2 - Timing marks MT
3 - Timing marks AT

I realize this is probably a huge piece of work and what would be the use case, well when I printed out the Diagram I actually used a screen grab and I had the abrreviation in one of the blank spots if I could do the same for the [1], [2] etc it makes the diag even more useful (for me).Not sure how many other would feel the same way (but as adoption is slow and low) possible not many.

I suppose the huge Pièce de résistance would be if you could somehow get the part numbers ( I know there is ETKA but not everyone can get their hands on it or have access to it at certain times of day) to make part location/sourcing on the world wide wait that much easier.

These are just my inital thoughts. I think the app is great and I am creating a VM that has all my car stuff so when I go to a friends if I need I can whip out the HDD and run the VM on whatever hardware they have. I have all sorts of stuff I have collected over the years stuff ranging from these great apps (and I do mean that sincerely even though I am a Brit on the wrong side of the pond there is no sarcasm in this at all). I have an interactive pdf for Jeeps, A volvo and a subaru program and I know I have a bunch of other stuff I just need to get it all in one place and this VM is going to be that place.

As (I assume) you're in Blighty if you have anything Capri related (why would you? dont know but dont ask dont get) let me know as I managed to snag myself a 76 which is my first Capri over here but is actually my 7th in total. If you look at my sig you'll notice a few number of toys and the list is always changing.

So again thanks for the great job on this.

Nij

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So question when you launch the app next to the box that is the drop down for the make there is another box that appears to have the number 4 in it. This doesnt seem to change if you select Seat, Skoda or VW so I assume ifthere is a larger app this is to do with parent group ie VAG. I supposed it doesnt really matter but I like to know stuff even if it makes no difference (to the user experience).

Suggestion I really like the abbreviation dialogue box that can be brought up. Is there anyway there could be a key for the numbers. I know they are in the text but something like
1 - Timing belt upper cover
2 - Timing marks MT
3 - Timing marks AT

I realize this is probably a huge piece of work and what would be the use case, well when I printed out the Diagram I actually used a screen grab and I had the abrreviation in one of the blank spots if I could do the same for the [1], [2] etc it makes the diag even more useful (for me).Not sure how many other would feel the same way (but as adoption is slow and low) possible not many.

I suppose the huge Pièce de résistance would be if you could somehow get the part numbers ( I know there is ETKA but not everyone can get their hands on it or have access to it at certain times of day) to make part location/sourcing on the world wide wait that much easier.

As (I assume) you're in Blighty if you have anything Capri related (why would you? dont know but dont ask dont get) let me know as I managed to snag myself a 76 which is my first Capri over here but is actually my 7th in total. If you look at my sig you'll notice a few number of toys and the list is always changing.
I'm not sure why it doesn't select the correct make and model for you?

The Make combobox has Audi, Seat, Skoda and Volkswagen that why it shows 4 makes next to it which doesn't change. If defaults to the Make combobox so if you press the V key it jumps to Volkswagen. When you select the Model combox box and press the first letter of the Model it jump to that first letter, press it again and it jumps the next occurance of that letter. Audi has 63 models, Seat has 76 models, Skoda has 27 models and Volkswagen has 125 models. When you select a model e.g. Volkswagen depending which model you select is says e.g. Passat 2.0D TDI CR 2008-11, Engine code CBAA, CBAB, CBAC, CBBB, CBDC it shows 73 of 125.

I could have added all part numbers from ETKA but thats not easy. I don't know if your ever used ETKA but you don't select Golf 2005 and BJB engine code. There are only some models that only show engine codes for certain items. Plus some models have multiple VIN number ranges.

The text to each picture does show the reference number e.g. Timing belt centre cover [4]. is number 4 on the picture. The text also shows the difference between MT and AT timing marks with numbers in the picture e.g. Ensure timing marks are aligned. MT: [2]. AT: [3].

The printout wasn't as easy as it sounds. I could have used an additional APIGID32.DLL but I would have had to given addition instructions. When I tested the print feature it works ok for me as it printed what it saw on th screen. If you resized the screen it my vary a bit.

I could have posted a full installation package which you had to install and you could uninstall. If you go back to the start of this through I was trying to get feedback if this app would be useful. I had very little responce at first so I made a basic app with a few models in just so you can see how it works and what it shows. Things have developed slowly over a period of time. At the moment I've only had 35 downloads of this app and very few comments. As you can see there is alot of info in this app which is ALL typed in not copied and pasted.

Yes I'm in the UK and we did have the Ford Capri many years ago which I can give you the timing belt data for if I know the exact model, year and engine number.

Thanks for you comments.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Just wanted to clarify I had NO issues with using the app it all worked fine. It was more curiosity as to the number 4. As I said I am sure it took many hours and it is a very helpful app. I was not knocking any of your decisions. I did see the info in the txt but again being a typical user I saw things and thought it was great but WANTED MORE. You know how pushy end users are!!!!!! My Capri is a 1976 but being a USA version actually runs the 2.3 pinto flat 4.

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sorry the info I have on a 1976 Capri 2.3 pinto doesn't cover timing belts, its probably a YYE engine code.

If I cast my mind back to when I've changed the timing belt on 1.6 and 2.0 pinto they are straight forward all the timing marks on the pullies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stevie McGee - South Africa

Thank you Keith. This is a great facility. Have downloaded Timing Belt file and it works really well.
Also downloaded Codes which will come in handy one day. Greatly appreciated. This is the best. Regards
S M

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ok I've had a newer version of AD so I've added the newer Beetle 1,9D TDI PD 2000-11 ATD, AXR, BSW so it now has 302 models. I haven't found much new only they have extended to date to 2011 on engine codes in current production.

I found a typo in Golf 1.9D TDI PD 1998-06 - AJM, ANU, ARL, ASZ, ATD, AUY, AXR there are two tensioners Mechanical Tensioner and Hydraulic Tensioner. I had the one with Hydraulic Tensioner you had to check the injection pump timing after timing belt replacement and you don't.

I've also added a screen on How to find your Engine Code? I've added more info in http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f8/options-sticker-engine-codes-17750/

I haven't done an installation package for this as its simple to use.

So all users that downloaded my app previously can replace the previous app with this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Keithuk, I'm a new member that joined this forum yestarday, and I've been browsing around it.

I have Golf mk4 with an ARL engine (hydraulic tensioner) and I have to change the camshaft (it has all the wymptoms of a worn lobe at 198.000 km). I will replace timing belt as well.

I've come across your "Timing Belts App ", and I can only say its TERRIFIC! I really liked it and found it straightforward and easy to use.

I've been runing it under windows 7 with no problems at all (executing it with administrator rights).

I can only say thankyou for your effort, and let you know that I've found it of great help.

With best wishes,

Geroni

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Welcome to the forum Geroni. welcometomyturbodies

Thanks for the comments.

Is your Windows 7 23bit or 64bit?

I've just bought a new Windows 8 64bit laptop and the TDI Timing Belts.exe runs straight of without running as Administrator, that just the stupid way Windows works which I hate.

My Free EOBD II Error Codes software does a similar thing. I added it to my nephews Vista 32bit laptop a couple of months ago and added COMCTL32.OCX to the Windows\System32 folder but when I ran the EOBD II Fault Codes.exe it said COMCTL32.OCX its registered correctly. It doesn't have to be registered but when I ran it as Administrator it worked perfectly, again that just how stupid Windows has become.

I've since made a full installation package for Free EOBD II Error Codes software to try and overcome this glitch.

The only other stupid glitch is Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 does allow you to see the in built help file *.hlp. Microsoft have a web site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 where you can download and install the correct version for your computer.

I downloaded Windows8-RT-KB917607-x64.msu and tried to installed it but it said This update is not applicable to your computer again stupid Windows. I've google it and joined a Windows 8 forum for this problem but I haven't found any solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Keith,

my windows 7 version is a 64 bit Home Premium version.

I'm sorry that I cannot help you with your windows Issues. I also like programming a bit, but I never digged deep into the "windows insides". I'm currently doing Excel macros in VBA, but I rarely have to deal with windows itself. Should you consider that I can be of any help, let me know.

Kind regards,

Geroni

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

I don't know if you meant to post that question in here but if you've tried my app its listed unber Bora (Jetta)/Golf 1.9D TDI 1997-05 - AGR, AHF, ALH, ASV all the torque settings are given.

Other than that do a search in FAQ as the ALH engine is listed in there.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts