VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

TDI timing belt

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  chittychittybangbang 
#1 ·
I installed a new timing belt on a 2004 Bettle TDI. Turned it over by hand 4 times. It idled fine but when I took it up the road it booged down as the speed increased. I checked the belt and it is still tight. I have poorley written instructions but thought I was following them to the tee. Will pull it apart today to see what I can see. Anyone else have a similar problem?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
I installed a new timing belt on a 2004 Bettle TDI. Turned it over by hand 4 times. It idled fine but when I took it up the road it booged down as the speed increased. I checked the belt and it is still tight. I have poorley written instructions but thought I was following them to the tee.
Well I've never heard of a Bettle was that a new model I missed? Your info (top right) says Bettle as well. :D

Well think about it logically. If it was running ok before you changed the belt and it doesn't run ok now then you haven't timed the belt properly or you haven't connected everything back up that you took off. Its a case of before and after.

Who gave you these poorley written instructions?

I've posted Timing Belt Changing - Beetle a couple of weeks ago. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.