VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pulled the top cover off to look at timing belt - there is no build-up from belt flaking - everything very clean - ribs on belt are not worn smooth - almost 100,000 on motor - bought at 68,000 - serpintine drive belt looks "new" also - how bad is belt supposed to look? i am ready to change belt and other parts if needed
any info would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
After the part number/manufacturer number on the belt is worn off a belt that's ready to snap looks as good as one that is fine.

Flaking and fraying are obvious signs that it's ready to go but if a pulley is seizing, tensioner dying, or the internal teeth of the belt ready to go, they go without much warning. In these cases the belt normally doesn't snap cleanly in half because of how it's built. The teeth fall off and the sprockets spin out of time or the belt splits and gets caught in the sprockets and that causes damage.

Since you bought it with such low mileage you can be sure the previous owner didn't do the service. Honestly, can you go 1000 miles past the due date? Can you eat meat past the due date without getting sick? Sure but the longer you wait the more perilous the situation and the more your stomach feels uneasy :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's supposed to look and work fine up until it slips so it's good that you know to change it. To add to chitty's analogy, if it does bite you, you have to be prepared to hold onto the toilet and get ready for the ride. And eating bad meat isn't a good situation either :p.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
timing belt inspection

thanks for the info - i have seen other cogged belts after they let go - other make cars - there was evidence of wear - the newness of this threw me off - i also came across info for dates on tensioner and water pump - i will look for this when i take them out very shortly
again thanks for the info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts