VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
tdi timing altered after belt change

about a year ago i had the timing belt changed at SEAT. i recently checked the timing with vag-com and its way out compared to where it was when i first checked it, some months before the belt change. it was roughly in the middle of the graph, its now at 9o and "too retarded to plot" according to vag-com.

so i had a couple of vag guys at work check to see if they could adjust it, but they said it would be better to take it back to SEAT, as it need locking off and adjusting. they also said the belt tension seemed rather excessive.

now there theory is that the SEAT dealer has done a tricky change, ie they havent locked off the engine, undone the cam and timing pump sprocket bolts, tensioned the belt, and set the timing up.

so im off too SEAT next Monday. now SEAT are saying if theres nothing wrong its a chargeable job . so i dont go there and look a ****, is there any other things that could have knocked the timing out eg. crankshaft sensor faulty?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Take a picture of the tensioner and injection pump sprocket. I'm not sure what your SEAT looks like but it should be similar to the VWs and if this is a model that uses an injection pump off the timing belt.

With the VWs you have to move the power steering reservoir and remove a hose to get a good look. If the injection pump sprocket bolts are all the way to the side, moved, or the tensioner is breaking, it might throw timing off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
hmm

the engine code is ASV. they were told to do a full kit change, so it should be a new tensioner, and i did receive a plastic bag of old pullys and a tensioner when they had finished. the vag guys at work checked the marks on the tensioner and they were aligned, so its probably tight because they left the sprockets bolted up. also i checked the old screen dump i took before the belt was changed and it was at 54o.

·
Registered
6 Posts
update

i took it back and:

they say dynamic timing it isnt a procedure the elsawin pro requires them to do on an ASV.

they will take the belt off an refit it to see if that helps.

SEAT say it does need doing.

my old copy of elsawin says it does need doing.

dealer double checks and says that section of elsawin doesnt apply to the ASV engine.

SEAT talk to dealer, then start to back out of there helpfull position, saying they hadnt realised i had the work done 14 months ago. i said i would like her to talk to them before i have the belt changed, to confirm they will do the timing, she says she will try and talk to them.

what would you guys do? im reluctant to let them neer the car anymore.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I used to take my car to a local VW repair place to change my timing belt (changed it thrice with them), but in the first two occasions, the engine made a funny sound whenever I shut it off, similar to a tuning fork vibrating.

The last time I went there I bought the DIESELGEEK 100,000 timing belt kit, and took it to them. After charging me as much as as they would if they had bought the parts themselves, I noticed that the funny tuning fork sound stopped. Then I realized that what they had been doing all along was to change the belt, and nothing more; they had never changed the tensioner.

Bottom line, there are lots of crooks out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to take my car to a local VW repair place to change my timing belt (changed it thrice with them), but in the first two occasions, the engine made a funny sound whenever I shut it off, similar to a tuning fork vibrating.

The last time I went there I bought the DIESELGEEK 100,000 timing belt kit, and took it to them. After charging me as much as as they would if they had bought the parts themselves, I noticed that the funny tuning fork sound stopped. Then I realized that what they had been doing all along was to change the belt, and nothing more; they had never changed the tensioner.

Bottom line, there are lots of crooks out there.
+1 on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what now?

) if they didnt undo the cam and pump sprockets when they did the belt change, could it cause the belt to be over tensioned between the cam and pump sprockets?

2) is it ok to do the timing with it like that? or am i going to have to take them up on there offer and let them take it all off again? because if the belt fails they could say "well we did offer to redo the job but you didnt have it done".

3) could we undo the cam sprocket and pump sprocket to releave the tension? then do the timing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
3) could we undo the cam sprocket and pump sprocket to releave the tension? then do the timing.
This is what I would do. I think they would still have to set the engine to TDC and do the other stuff to get it right. Why not show them the instructions on this site? Even though it sounds like they can't follow instructions anyways.....

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I have a Seat with the 1.9tdi AGR engine and the tensioner's got a certain amount of spring in it so even though the belt feels pretty tight you cant really go wrong. I dont know how they could screw that up. Is your car running differently? If so maybe they've put the pump a tooth out. I marked mine up with small drops of white paint first to make sure everything when back in the right place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts