VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Just a quick question. I've done my homework and know that if I want to take advantage of the diesel incentive I need to buy mine before the 60,000 mark or before the new year.

The problem is, I am having trouble finding a TDI that is outfitted how I want.

So, if I custom order a TDI, I imagine that it might be a while before it arrives. That being said, is there any way to order a TDI that arrives months later, and still get the tax incentive?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
My best guess is that the full credit will last until the last day of June 2010. That's 6 months and should be enough for any dealer to get a car. Remember that some people on their wait lists have deposits at other dealers too and will back out.

That being said, there is no way to order now and get the full tax incentive. This is off the top of my head but I believe you must purchase the car, not necessarily put it in service. So depending on purchase, does this mean pay in full and sign the paperwork or actually take delivery but you don't have to get permanent tags? I don't know, refer to the links in the tax credit article for their exact wording, this is just a quick question on their definitions.

And I would sign a contract saying exactly how much you will pay, ie, $500 below MSRP (which I think is very doable right now if you tell the dealer you will put down a deposit right now for a car that won't come for 2 months), $500 above invoice, etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You will probably have trouble finding what you want unless you put down money. Once the dealers see $$$ they'll make it easy ;) for you to pay them and get the car. Shop around because a car is a commodity. I don't care how much the salesman or dealer makes because you should do all the work finding the car you want. Call every dealer within a 150 mile radius and tell them this is what I want and this is how much I want to pay. If they can't make money on it they won't agree. If they can make it happen they deserve your business.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You don't need to buy before the 60,000 mark, you have that entire quarter and the next to buy it. Otherwise there would be no warning. The IRS is really behind but it should list when they pass 60,000. The tax credit FAQ here explains it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my 2010 TDI SportWagen a couple of months ago and I didn't get anything from VW re: tax credit.

Is there a number to call to find out status?

Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Why would you get anything from VW? It's between you and the IRS. I would contact the dealer, there's also a form in the tax credit FAQ here.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I bought my 2010 TDI SportWagen a couple of months ago and I didn't get anything from VW re: tax credit.

Is there a number to call to find out status?

Thanks.
Don't expect tax advice from a car salesman. They know how to sell cars not do your taxes.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/TDItaxcredit.htm

I'm not an accountant but I gathered some info and put the tax form 8910 here. Any tax preparer who is worth paying will know what to do with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just to clarify one point about taxes and TDIs (with the usual disclaimer that I'm no accountant) ...

Yes, the federal $1300 credit will definitely survive past 1/1/10 and at least the next quarter, but the federal deduction for state sales tax will not.

So in my case it was worth approx. $700 to buy before the end of the year. I had to change my order three times to meet that deadline, but in an ironic twist ended up on change #3 with almost exactly what I had picket out in the first round, so I'm happy.

-dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts