VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can a Golf TDI get 100 mpg just by turning off the AC and removing excess weight and with 17" tires? This does not seem possible.

The rules state that the photo has to show trip computer, idling engine, and average mpg readout. Just don't reset the trip computer and coast down a long hill and you've got infinite mpg. The top 3 leaders show 100, 88.7, and73.7 mpg and #2 and 3 admit it was rolling downhill. I call shenanigans!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You got it. To avoid cheats they have to show videos of cycling through average trip distance, time, and speed. No photos since those can be doctored too easily.

Even still, you could use smaller wheels/tires, and adjust the instrument cluster (see this FAQ for more details) so that the speedometer reads way too fast. I believe the speedometer and trip computer are linked (but not the odometer) so that if you adjust the speedometer fast, the trip computer will ead more distance than actual traveled.

Also set the instrument cluster to UK instead of US. UK gallons are larger so each gallon will let you travel more miles. Hence, more mpg displayed on the instrument cluster.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I'm not sure why you would cheat on this. Also having the AC off and windows down probably does more harm than good. Guess people have no integrity. Best I've gotten out of my Golf so far was 47mpg (measured at pump, not computer) and that was driving like a granny on the interstate.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Even still, you could use smaller wheels/tires,
don't you mean use larger wheels (without getting crazy like 22" rims)? For long distance, the larger the wheel the lower the RPM of the engine = better mileage. Of course with local driving...stopping and going, the smaller wheels will do better with mileage.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
don't you mean use larger wheels (without getting crazy like 22" rims)? For long distance, the larger the wheel the lower the RPM of the engine = better mileage. Of course with local driving...stopping and going, the smaller wheels will do better with mileage.
For cheating, no, since they'll register more miles than actual traveled. For example, for each 1 actual mile traveled it would show 3 miles traveled, increasing indicated mpg. That's a bit overkill since it looks like people are just rolling downhill and taking a picture.

thrab said:
I'm not sure why you would cheat on this.
Because they're cool guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts