VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will explain as short as possible. I was driving on the hwy. I had vehicles to my left, right and behind me. I saw a what I thought was a chunk of ice on the road. It was identical to the size of a shoe box. I did not think what happened next would have happened.

There was no way to avoid the object without having an accident. After running the what I thought was ice over, the front under pan was ripped off and the car lost power within 100 feet.

The vehicle is towed to the shop with a crank no start condition.

I am also mechanically skilled. I pull out the sending unit from the tank after inspecting the under carriage of the vehicle. No damage other then a missing splash shield. Lower control arms are packed with CLAY!!!!! That was no ice block, it was a block of clay. WTH

After removing the sending unit. I noticed that the plastic cover with multiple hose (grille/screen/cover was laying on the bottom of the tank. There was no damage to either pieces. I reinstalled the screen on the lower side of the sending unit. I prime the fuel system with a reverse vac. at the fuel pump. I also sprayed a little starter fluid in the intake.

The car started and ran for about a minute with me increasing the rpm's to make sure everything was OK. Then she stalled after about a minute or two. Performed the vac procedure again and sprayed inside the intake. Vehicle started and then stalled within 5 seconds. Vehicle only ran on the spray.

This is where I am stuck. I am not sure where to look now. I blew air through the fuel lines from the sending unit to the fuel filter. I did remove the lines from the filter so I was not blowing air into the filter. I primed the system again with the vac. and she will not start.

Can anyone help me with this? Please.

I did notice when the vehicle stalls, you are able to see through the clear fuel line that the fuel is returning/rushing back towards the tank.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

What about the fuel tank, did it get hit? Also if the fuel is getting sucked back you could try taking the fuel cap off to see if it makes any difference. That block of stuff must've done something, just a case of trying to figure out what.:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
So it was the plastic shield and the fuel tank took the hit? How big was this thing if it hit the fuel tank and both control arms?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. The impact was to the right lower control arm. No damage to the tank or the lower control arm. The tank does not have a dent or scuff. The lower control are had the clay packed on the lip. The plastic cover that covers the fittings that connect tot he fuel cooler was hanging - but not broken. I was able to snap it into place. The clay was the size of a work boot shoe box.

I did remove the fuel cap when priming and starting. It did not make a difference. I am amazed how I am stumped. :dunno

I know it will be something stupid. I will be working on it at 7am. I will report my findings when and if I find them. :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check your fuel lines, sounds like one or both are crushed. Also check where they make the turn to go up into the engine compartment, that is another place they can be compromised.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your fuel lines, sounds like one or both are crushed. Also check where they make the turn to go up into the engine compartment, that is another place they can be compromised.
I did follow them up, but I did not look very well were they did turn up into the engine compartment. They run inside the right uni body. I will double check that tom. Today I was doing and looking at so much. I will be searching for the problem tom. at a slower speed.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
You could try to run the car off of a bottle of diesel or diesel purge connected to the IP to elimiate the fuel supply system and go from there.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I may be mistaken... but isn't it a bad idea to use starting fluid (ether) on a tdi?
I've always heard it can cause pre-combustion.
:dunno

·
Registered
67 Posts
Make sure the clay didn't bang up the suspension arms or attachments. Somewhere a child's class project was cruelly squished on the side of the road :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I may be mistaken... but isn't it a bad idea to use starting fluid (ether) on a tdi? I've always heard it can cause pre-combustion.
You're not mistaken... it's a terrible idea on Diesels that have glow plugs... (even if the glow plugs are disabled, it's still a bad idea)... In a desperate situation, WD-40 is quite a bit safer...

Yuri

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did use the starter fluid today, if I read this sooner - I would not have.

I installed a fuel line from the sending unit to the fuel filter. I ran the line outside the vehicle. I did a vac. test and I was pulling air and fuel.

I removed the sending unit again to take a close look at it and guess what I found?
I put my finger over the one end and I was able to blow through.
The stem had a crack where it is attached to the top of the sending unit. This is a very hard area to view.

I bought a new one and everything was back to normal.

The impact to the bottom of the tank must have been worse then what I felt and was able to see by looking at the tank cover.

I also replaced the starter. It has been making some noises for awhile. Also did not do well when trying to start a vehicle that did not want to start.

I am amazed how time consuming it was to replace the starter. It was not straight forward. A solid two hours using a lift.
Thanks to everyone for there thoughts.
Thank God I am done. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts