VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this forum and am wondering if I can participate while owning a BMW 335d.It *is* a turbodiesel,after all! ;-) This looks like it might be an interesting place to visit,particularly given that VW/Audi sells the majority of diesel passenger vehicles in North America.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes but there's a minimum mpg test. You must drive from Santa Barbara to the Santa Monica pier with only 2.5 gallons of fuel. If you finish you'll be shown the secret handshake and given the decoder ring. :D

Welcome! If it's more diesel related or more general in nature feel free to post in this general forum. If it's specific to BMW and not as general, please post in the other cars forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is the power? Would you buy it again?
This thing's a beast.Off the line you get a bit of turbo/diesel lag but a second or two later you feel like you were shot out of a canon.I guess 425 ft lbs of torque will do that.I'm a pretty conservative driver compared to many Bimmer owners (this is my first) but the torque is sure nice when passing or merging onto an Interstate.

Would I buy again? It depends.I'm definately a diesel believer now.But if I can find one that's pretty well equipped with a turbo 4 delivering 45mpg or more I'd go with that.In other words something between the diesel Jetta and my "d".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes but there's a minimum mpg test. You must drive from Santa Barbara to the Santa Monica pier with only 2.5 gallons of fuel. If you finish you'll be shown the secret handshake and given the decoder ring.
Given that I'm on the East Coast that would be tough...unless you're prepared to ship me and my "d" to Santa Barbara (and back). :D

I regularly commute I-90 and sometimes I-95 (in light traffic) and my trip computer reads 42-44 mpg.And I've confirmed with a calculator that it's pretty accurate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Absolutely amazing....is that average per tank or just highway driving. It must be highway because that's about the same mixed mpg as a 4 cyl TDI engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely amazing....is that average per tank or just highway driving. It must be highway because that's about the same mixed mpg as a 4 cyl TDI engine.
No,I'm quoting highway...at 65mph which for me,unlike for many Bimmer owners,is just fine.Sometimes,when I'm not in a hurry,I do the 70 mile trip on I-90 that I often do at 57 mph.On those trips I get a reading of 48-49 mpg.

I'll take anywhere from 42 to 49 mpg in my ride over any Prius for sure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts