VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there to all of you, and I want to thank everyone in helping me to make my decision in purchasing a new 2011 Golf 4dr TDI with a DSG and a sunroof. I really like the car so far but only have a few hundred miles on it, have filled it once - 8gal / 300 miles. Not bad. I am not new to a VW diesel, I had a 79 Rabbit diesel 2dr, canary yellow, 5spd, no a/c. Way different than the new one I just got, but I sure was fond of it...was a really good car. I had dropped in another fuel tank in the back which gravity fed into the main tank giving me a range of about 1000 miles before having to fill up (the main tank was only about 10gal). I put 130K on it before selling it.

With the Rabbit I always had to put in a fuel/diesel stabilizer to prevent water from causing algae to grow in the tank and lines. Do we need to be concerned about that today?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Welcome! You had the 79 rabbit in 1979 or just sold it? Just to confirm, your tire valve stems are flexible rubber right? I've had others say that the tire pressure monitor sensors are now ABS sensor based. Can you confirm? If the valve stems are stiff then you have pressure/temp sensors in the wheels. What is your car's build date? There should be a sticker in the door jamb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Huge improvement ! When I test drove it I was very surprised at the power and how fast it is. With the Rabbit, I would have to plan a passing maneuver about a mile in advance. I bet Keithuk's GTD is pretty darn quick...What is your torque rating ?

I had gotten the Rabbit diesel in 1979, drove it 6 years, and then bought a VW GTI in 1985 (red & 5spd). Liked it too, it had a/c but the ex got it when we split a couple years later :-(.

My tire valve stems are rubber (flexible), and the build date is June 2010.

Also just discovered tonite while out driving that the fog lamps illuminate when you are turning, and which one comes on is dependent upon which direction you are turning. Pretty cool ! and helpful too.

In regards to the algae in the Rabbit tank and fuel lines, I always had fresh fuel in it as was commuting to work about 140mi/day but still it happened. Perhaps the diesel fuel 30 years ago was more prone to absorbing moisture. Anyway, I was told to use an additive to prevent it from recurring, which I found at a truck stop. I saw the algae in the tank and lines and was shocked and dumbfounded that this could happen.

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
I bet Keithuk's GTD is pretty darn quick...What is your torque rating ?
Its claimed 258/350 lbs.ft/Nm at 1750-2500 rpm. I'm not sure how quick it is to me honest I haven't tried to top speed yet as the UK roads/traffic are appauling. It will zip upto 100mph without thinking about it.

I've said this on other forums. How can you say you have a 2011 Golf when we aren't in 2011 yet? Its just a sales ploy by VW.

Nice sig. Oh its 140PS not bhp which is 136bhp. ;)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
How can you say you have a 2011 Golf when we aren't in 2011 yet? Its just a sales ploy by VW.
If you are not kidding, I am curious, as I have never shopped for a car in England, does the model year start on January 1st and end on December 31st there?

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
If you are not kidding, I am curious, as I have never shopped for a car in England, does the model year start on January 1st and end on December 31st there?
No I'm not kidding it isn't only VW that do this. There is nothing wrong which saying get your 2011 Golf here meaning you can order it for next year not order it and get it this year because that would be a 2010 build. This would surely contravine the trade description act people won't sue or complain because they think they are getting a 2011 model in 2010.

Don't you agree? I've tried to Google for this but I can't find anything definate. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
No I'm not kidding it isn't only VW that do this. There is nothing wrong which saying get your 2011 Golf here meaning you can order it for next year not order it and get it this year because that would be a 2010 build. This would surely contravine the trade description act people won't sue or complain because they think they are getting a 2011 model in 2010.

Don't you agree? I've tried to Google for this but I can't find anything definate. ;)
Seems to have started as a marketing thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts