VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the forum and lovin the 2006 Jetta.

Was looking that the article on TB replacement for the MK5 (BRM). Good Article. A few questions / comments. For the camshaft rotation the discussions notes to rotate clockwise. The picture below the discussion about having the toothed window on upper half shows an arrow in a CCW direction. I just want to confirm CW is when looking at the camshaft not from other end.

The discussion on removing the motor mount alignment plate, fender mount bolts, and mount mount bolts related to adding a dash of paint to mark alignment of the mount and mount bolts has me a little baffled as to what we are marking and why. Might be clear when I actually get in there and see....and maybe it is clear in the reinstall section that I yet to have access to.

Thanks for the good discussions.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
OK, I think I know what you're talking about. It's not an arrow, it's a green checkmark vs. the red X on the picture showing how it should not be.

The bottom of the mount has the threads. The top has oval holes so it can move quite a bit. You mark it so that it's correctly aligned. If you don't align it correctly the engine will be crooked. I will edit the writeup to make this more clear, thanks for asking!

PS, I do rent the special tools upon request so if you need them, feel free to send me a PM. This is also a good time to do a camshaft inspection, take a look in the FAQ for how to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Chitty. I see the check mark now and the rest makes sense after seeing the reinstall section.

As recommended, inspected the cam and unfortunately, one lobe (exhaust on the 2nd cylinder) is worn somwhat :eek. Beyond the chamfer missing, I noticed that you can feel a bit of a flat spot when running fingure over the working surface of the lobe that differs from other lobes. From what I can see, the lifter looks ok (slight circle showing in center), but.....replacement likely in order. Other lobes all look really good.

So, checked Boraparts and they sell a complete kit including TB kit. Already have the TB kit, but looks like a nice kit, so.....

Do you recommend the aftermarket cam or OEM cam at the +$340? Any risk in the aftermarket? We put a lot of miles on each year and plan to drive the car for 200,000+ more miles (already has 120k on it).

I will check forums, but am contemplating running a different oil. Had really good luck with the Conkin oils on the farm.

Side Note: I am hearing a clunking sound at idle and only at idle that is not uniform. From what I have read, I am guessing this is the DMF?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Can't guess at a noise over the internet :D But it's possible that it's the flywheel. It could also be something related to the suspension if you're moving.

If you have the black lifters they should last a little longer w/cam wear without catastrophic failure, the silver ones are the ones that really suffer and dish. I don't think the OEM vs. aftermarket cam makes any difference, IMHO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just did my 06 Jetta BRM a week ago and I found that things make since as you go along and see for yourself. Check out the pics I posted on this forum. I highly recommend the Dieselgeek kit. As for the engine mouts, its easier than you think. I used the old bolts to hold everything in place and then once they were all ligned up (the bolts were just finger tight) I replaced them and torqued them to sepc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.

Lifters are silver, unfortunately. No black in site. Really did not see that much dishing, but hard to see without removing the cam.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I am about to do the timing belt on our BRM tomorrow, I have done a lot of ALH timing belts but this is my first BRM, wish me luck :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My First time too. In The middle of it. Just wondering what the little marks on the back of the cam sproket mean. There is a 2Z i beleive and a 3Z. I installed the locking pin all the way into the cam and right on into the head. Everything is locked down. Just wondering what those other marks mean on that sproket.
Thanks in advance.
Tim

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Not sure but the 4Z on the rear plastic timing belt cover is an index mark for PD engines. Take a look at the writeup, it shows more on this. Bentley isn't very clear on these so I suggest using the window and verifying the hole position visually.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
All went well, cam timing was at -2.5 after belt was installed and first test drive, 1st adjust gave me exactly +1.0, car runs like a dream, purchased and installed all new filters and fresh oil change with Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w30.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts