VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 jetta TDI loses power while accelerating and if you lift off the throttle for a second and get back on it it picks back up but will lose power in several seconds. Sometimes it gives a timing control code sometimes nothing. I just resealed the pump off the car put a new timing belt on set the timing with vag - com. I also had the intake off and cleaned the carbon out and replaced the boost hose that goes to the ecm and pressure test to make sure the computer had no internal leak. This thing has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Might be worth giving the boost pipes the once over if you haven't already, there might be an oily patch on one somewhere which could point to a leak.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention I also changed the fuel filter. I did change the one boost hose that goes from the plastic intercooler pipe to the intake it had a split in it. When I go to set the timing with the vag-com I use the graph and it keeps telling me coolant temp is not hot enough. The gauge is going up right to the middle. I drove the car and watched the temp and it never went over 70 degrees C. I might change the thermostat and see if that will get the temp up. I dont think I have a boost leak because it will be pulling good and then it just seems like it defuels. I will check the boost with a gauge just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
70 sounds a bit low to me, I think it should be at 90, it might be worth looking at the temp sensor if the thermostat doesn't help but I would also expect the temp to go up and down depending on wether you're driving along or stuck in traffic if it was the thermostat.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an extra temp sensor so I changed it and temp was same I noticed also that when I was pulling some hills the temp would go to 70 but when I would go down the other side it would go down to 62

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem

Hi
I had the same problem.
Cleaned the turbo exhaust side and replaced all of the vacuum hoses.
That solved the problem for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts