VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with my 06 jetta. Idles okay, but makes aweful ticking noise under acceleration. First took it to a local parts store to get the code checked, they told me it was a bad MAF sensor. Replaced it, didn't work. Was then told it's probably a bad cam from a local mechanic. I bought this car because I thought diesels would run forever if you kept the oil changed as required, which i have. I'm going to try to tackle the cam job myself and replace timing belt and water pump, etc while i'm there. Is there anything I can check to make certain it is the cam thats the prob? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If the cam turns out to be ok it could be an exhaust leak near the manifold some where or maybe a bad injector sealing washer.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same code, and more of a rapping than a clicking, and it was most definitely the cam and followers. The code cleared after the cam replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the parts to repair this car! Got the colt stage 2 kit from kermatdi with the deluxe install kit including timing belt parts. Everything looked great, so did the work this past weekend. Followed the instructions on this sight. Thanks for the DIY section! Helped immensely! Went together smoothly. When I started the car to do the initial break in, it started great and idled great! However, it's now pouring oil out around the timing belt area! Also, a small leak around the tamdem pump side valve cover. Noticed a groove under the valve cover where an o-ring might go, but no gasket! Should there be a gasket? Could I have incorrectly installed the bearing on the cam? It slid on with no trouble. I used the stretch bolts, can I remove them to inspect the bearing and reuse the bolts, or will I need to order new bolts and possibly a bearing/seal? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and I apologize for the lengthy post.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You cannot reuse stretch bolts. Order new ones.

Is the oil coming from cam seal? If so, you found the leak. Make sure not the valve cover.

You should be able to reuse the valve cover gasket, it's the only gasket. No o-ring gasket but the VC gasket does have a few small areas which go aroud the bolt holes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was no gasket when I pulled the valve cover off. Maybe the local mechanic that first told me the cam was bad mistakenly left it off? It was when he quoted me $3800 to repair that I researched and found this sight. I bought the car new and have not taken it to any other shop since. I have serviced the car myself. Anyway, I have a new gasket ordered that I should receive today or tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed gasket yesterday and all is well! Car is running great. Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts