VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am from the great pacific NW. I own 2001 tdi beetle. I have been pretty happy with it. my wife bought it new. It has 120k miles. I had the timing belt replaced at 100k, and I de carbon the intake system myself with the help of a vw mechanic friend. I did not do the turbo. I have a problem with a loss of power. When I climb a hill and it hits a certain rpm it like shuts down to half power. I shut it off and start it again it comes back. The car still drives fine but lacks that turbo power. I had another mechanic tell me i need to clean something in the turbo. He said I could damage the engine if it is a clogged turbo. He said I should also check some gismo on the turbo. I kinda lost him , so maybe someone could enlighten me.The engine light is always on. How do I tell if it is the mass air sensor? tt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the car is going into limpmode, usually cycling the key will atleast temperarily return the performance, you can check the turbos vnt actuator for leaks( it should hold up to 18 psi vacuum) and not bleed down, also check for full movement of the turbos arm that the actuator hooks to. Do you have access to vagcom? if you do check for codes and see if anything pertaines to your problem. Here is the link for troubleshooting limpmode http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/limp-mode-TDI-fix.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts