VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one hear of this happening? My 2010 Jetta sportwagan (17,000 mi) stalled at a stoplight the other day and would not restart with my wife at the wheel. This also happened when the car had less than 5,000 mi. in a parking lot. She finally was able to restart after several minutes by completely turninig the ignition key to off then to start.

Looks like US government is beginning to collect complaints about this and there was a recall in Germany because of a defective high pressure fuel pump.

Has this happened to others?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't know about a recall in Germany but I know that the NTHSA has opened an investigation into the fuel pumps on TDI.

Is it manual or DSG transmission?

If the car was a DSG and wasn't in park or neutral I don't think it will restart. Also, if you don't turn the key all the way to the OFF position, it won't engage the starter. This is to prevent accidental operation of the starter with the engine running. In other words, if it's at the ON position and you turn to START, it won't do anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chitta

It's a DGS transmission. She was in neutral after the stall. My wife has lodged a complaint with NTSHA. You are correct about Ignition switch. She had to completely turn OFF key to get it to restart. WE used this website to select the Jetta after finding out about the Prius accelerator problems. It's a super site.

VW road service was super as you would expect. Had police and wrecker at scene very quickly but we would have had to have it towed to the nearest VW dealer about 2 hours away. Fortunately my wife restarted the car with the correct positioning of the ignition switch before we had to have it towed. We love the car and hope we did not buy a lemon.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's a DGS transmission. She was in neutral after the stall. My wife has lodged a complaint with NTSHA. You are correct about Ignition switch. She had to completely turn OFF key to get it to restart. WE used this website to select the Jetta after finding out about the Prius accelerator problems. It's a super site.

VW road service was super as you would expect. Had police and wrecker at scene very quickly but we would have had to have it towed to the nearest VW dealer about 2 hours away. Fortunately my wife restarted the car with the correct positioning of the ignition switch before we had to have it towed. We love the car and hope we did not buy a lemon.

Thanks again for your help.
So, just to clarify, when the car stalled, did your wife turn the key all the way to the OFF position before trying to restart it the first time? Because, from your description, it sounds like the car wouldn't restart BECAUSE she hadn't turned the key to the OFF position after stalling.

And that's entirely normal.

Mine's a manual transmission, and it was pretty easy to stall when brand new. I was stymied a few times early on when I'd stall it and immediately try to turn the key to restart, only to find that nothing would happen. I quickly learned that turning the Key all the way OFF and then back to the START position is the only way to start it after it's been stalled, and it's not a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Having to turn the key all the way Off before a restart is nothing new, nor is is just VWs. Most (maybe all?) German cars have done this for decades. Certainly as far back as our '78 Scirocco, and all VWs and BMWs we've owned since. Since I've been driving German cars since 1979, this is second nature for me now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, she did not have key all the way off . I guess my question is why the stall in the first place? She has been driving "Detroit Iron" for a number of years.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
The process is simple if you read the owners manual before operating your car (which you should do anyways to familiarize yourself with your cars operating features) .

In general, you need to put the DSG selector in Park, turn the ignition key to the "off" position, then turn it to the "run" position, then to the "starter" postion, then back to the "run" position once the motor fires up and starts idling.

Manual transmissions require that you completely disengage the clutch with the clutch pedal to the floor before the starter switch on the clutch pedal will allow you to start the motor with the ignition key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts