VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new bloke. help plz!

hi all ive just found your site after doing some research.
ive got a 2001 tdi 110 golf mk4 which has a blown heasgsket.it making air locks and too much in the cooling system so its blowing the water out of the overflow.theres no water in the oil or vice versa.question is when the head is off do i get it skimmed or dont i?ive heard it can play up the compression on a tdi but surely it cant be that extreme? advide is taken gratefully as it goes in saturday.thank you
dan

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
There's different thickness gaskets and any machine shop worth their name should be able to supply the correct gasket after it's skimmed but my local shop will usually inspect the head first and tell me for free wether they think it needs skimmed or not. If the car's running good apart from the air locks and pressure problems then it might not need skimmed, it just needs to be checked for warping or pressure tested if a crack is suspected which is what can happen if it's boiled or left to long.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive gotva late 2001 tdi 110 engine xode is asv.the headgasket it blown between a water way and compression side of a piston (no 1i think) the gakets it to be changed saturday. the guy in the garage is saying have the head skimmed but ive heard not to have it done due to compression etc. can it really affect it that much?if i do have it skimmed what problems could it cause and could i have a headgasket made up standard thickness plus what they removed to compensate?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Double post merged.

The head is flat, if they skim it, it won't change compression, it's still flat. If it were an older diesel engine with the compression bowl in the head or a gas engine with a dome space in the head, it would change compression. If they machine the block it will change compression.

The wrong head gasket will change compression.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts