VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got done replacing head gasket on my 01 Jetta TDI with the 1.9l and upon looking at everything I believe it’s not at TDC anymore... is there anything I can do? I’m willing to take it to a certified VW mechanic but if I could do it myself and learn the correct way I’d rather do that. Any info and insight would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Follow part of instructions from a timing belt how-to. Basicaly you want to lock the cam (it has a slot on the end behind the vacuum pump), rotate crank to TDC (mark on flywheel) and align the IP pump hole.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I’m not a mechanic, but I’ve learned to be a do it yourselfer with the ALH engine.

I agree with udraft, this forum has a good timing belt right up for the ALH engine that you will need to look over.

If you don’t have a tool to hold the cam locked in position, I used a metal ruler and some thin pieces of steel. That was with the valve cover off and the last cam bearing cap off I think. Then I sprung for the metal nerd cam lock tool. 😎 Much easier.

I also had a hard time getting the timing belt back on so I took off the top roller, the little one just to the left of the pump sprocket until I got everything basically back together. I put it back on before tensioning the belt.

The only thing that I would add Is that I’ve often had to move the fly wheel notch back just a teeny bit before tensioning it. When I tighten the tensioner on the timing belt, it seems to cause the fly wheel to advance just a teeny bit. So I use a big standard screwdriver down through the viewing port to just give the flywheel a little nudge in the direction I want while everything is loose. Then when I tightened it, it moves perfectly in to position.
Either that fussiness has paid off I’ve been lucky, every time I Hooked it up to Vag-Com and graphed the injection timing, my timing belt timing has been dead on.

Good luck 👍

1 - 3 of 3 Posts