VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange noise coming from the front...It is like " tch tch" ...I can feel it through steering wheel... It takes only a second and only once and it only happen when I start engine and move forward (wheels are straight or left or right),never on reverse, it never happened if I stopped the car (engine on), clutch down or neutral and moved forward again.

So it only happen when engine is off and then again on... Any idea?

AUDI A4 B6 1.9TDI 96kW 2002 AWX engine, 85.000 miles

·
Registered
21 Posts
steering noises

I had exactly the same thing and having replaced the steering pump I found it was totally unrelated. Get someone to turn the steering while you look at the auxiliary belt that drives the power steering, air con and alternator. I suspect you will see the tensioner flapping about.,,so the belt is going tight, loose, tight again. The problem was the alternator clutch pulley (a common fault) which in turn knackerd the tensioner pulley and made the steering pump pulse under load.

If I am wrong it will only take you a second to look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I had exactly the same thing and having replaced the steering pump I found it was totally unrelated. Get someone to turn the steering while you look at the auxiliary belt that drives the power steering, air con and alternator. I suspect you will see the tensioner flapping about.,,so the belt is going tight, loose, tight again. The problem was the alternator clutch pulley (a common fault) which in turn knackerd the tensioner pulley and made the steering pump pulse under load.

If I am wrong it will only take you a second to look.
Hi,

It really sounds like seized clutch pulley.
But it only happen when I move (in gear), never when stationary turning steering to right or left. I know that my tensioner pulley is vibrating a little bit, but belt runs smooth when stationery. I am assuming it is not clutch pulley .... but thank you for your advise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts