VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I've got so far, can you rank these in order of hardness?

Bilstein HD, Bilstein TC, Koni Reds, Koni Gr2, Monroe Sensatrac, Koni FSD.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
What you are looking for? I don't think you'll find many people who have personally lived with all those shocks and hard is pretty subjective depending on the person.

Here is my guess: koni reds are adjustable and when I installed them on my car on full soft they were way too soft, probably about as soft as stock. I put them on medium which is just about as hard as I would go on a street car. Bilstein HD are supposed to be sporty and the strut perch raises the car slightly because I think it's slightly taller than stock. I had bilstein TC in my other car but it was a mk3 so I can't make a direct comparison. It rode well, very liveable on the street but I definitely prefer the koni reds. The TC are gas, the koni reds are hydraulic, that might have something to do with how I prefer it. Koni Gr2 is their entry level street shock. monroe senatracs are supposed to adjust according to conditions and I believe that they are somewhere in the middle. Koni FSDs are excellent. They aren't hard (probably somewhere in the middle) and firm up according to shock frequency. In other words, they are medium shocks that soak up small bumps but firm up during harder transitions. It's supposed to work much better than the monroe senatracs but I have only ridden in the FSDs.

Don't forget sway bars and tires, they also drastically change the suspension feel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okthanks, that was very helpful. How does a sway bar really work? I know it prevents side-side movement but how should I tune the suspension?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Get the Koni Reds. If you're not happy you can adjust them. Or find someone with the suspension you want and try them out. Make sure you consider the wheel size because that makes a big difference in ride quality too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have FSD's in my alh car and I can attest that I have been impressed with the ride in my car, it is right in the middle betwwen stiff and smooth., great choice for our cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts