VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suspension Overhaul

Buying a kit to replace the front suspension (control arms, TREs, sway link etc.) I'm wondering is there anything else I should be replacing I don't want to spend much money but dont want to half do the job either.

I was thinking new shock will make a big difference all round but not sure if springs will. Is it worth buying new springs what effect will this have on the handling.

I will be replacing the sway bar links but does the sway bar need to be replaced. Again im wondering what effect this will have on the handling.

Do I need to do anything to the rear suspension?

forgot to mention its a 01 AWX B5.5 FWD

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
New springs won't necessarily improve handling but they will raise the car. Over time and mileage, the springs sag and the car gets lower.

In the Us, the rear suspension is so easy to change that it's not worth doing just for the sake of it. We only had the bar suspension here, not the IRS that Audi had or 4motion with TDI.

Some people like adding a thicker rear sway bar since it really reduces understeer but some understeering is not necssarily a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I'm not sure if the passats have the same suspension as the jettas, but if they do, definitely replace the strut mounts. Mine looked okay, but when I put it back together you could tell and then I had to take it all apart again. Too annoying to go cheap on that!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'm not a mechanic and not overally familiar with all the different components but I pressume this is the rubber mount at the top of the shock where it joints the chasis or is this on the control arm where the shock joints the suspension?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts