VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody noticed that when the sunroof is open, there is a terrible ear popping ... thing going on? I don't know what to call it, but it can make my ears hurt unless I open a couple windows. Will a windscreen take care of this problem?
I have a four door
Wondering if 2 doors have this problem.:dunno

·
Registered
104 Posts
The ear popping is wind flutter. The wind blows across the edge of the sunroof just right and vibrates. The same thing happens if you open the windows just right. I know it's not a bad wheel because you say that it goes away if you open the window. Try turning the fan up and cracking the window to.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The ear popping is wind flutter. The wind blows across the edge of the sunroof just right and vibrates. The same thing happens if you open the windows just right. I know it's not a bad wheel because you say that it goes away if you open the window. Try turning the fan up and cracking the window to.
This is correct.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anybody noticed that when the sunroof is open, there is a terrible ear popping ... thing going on? I don't know what to call it, but it can make my ears hurt unless I open a couple windows. Will a windscreen take care of this problem?
I have a four door
Wondering if 2 doors have this problem.:dunno
It is due to acoustic resonance. The same thing happens when you blow into an empty bottle just right, it makes a noise. Blow too slow or too fast the resonance stops. Same thing happens with the wind blowing into the open sunroof. At just the right speed the wind blowing into the sunroof matches the natural frequency of the open volume of the inside of the car.

You can either adjust the opening of the sunroof, i.e. if it vibrates when fully opened just try closing it one notch at a time until the vibration stops, or you open one of the side or rear windows. Another thing is to either speed up or slow down. One of these three methods will change the natural frequency of the inside of your car and stop the acoustic resonance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will a sunroof windscreen eliminate this problem? I like to keep the sunroof open a wide as I can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It will change the resonance by altering the amount of airflow. It won't totally eliminate the flutter, but should be somewhat improved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts