VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just fitted my new sump/oil pan the other night and remembered to take a couple of pics for anyone wishing to do theirs. First is my reason for needing a new one. This was due to a 6in rut in deep ice, my car slipped sideways and the right front wheel went into the rut causing my sump to connect with the hard, compacted ice.:annoyed

And a pic of the new sump, you'll notice I've put a couple of arrows pointing to two particular bolt holes. These are the ones you'll notice in the next pic that are hard to see at first without a bit of investigating.

Here's the sump fitted and as you can see those particular bolts are fairly hidden and not so obvious.

To get to these bolts I used a 5mm ball ended allen key/wrench which is the only way I could manage due to their location.

I used common kitchen and bathroom silicone sealant which I find works fine for most things but only the clear one, I'm not sure why but the coloured ones aren't as sticky and don't bond so well. You can either use the silicone like I did, get a regular gasket if possible or use one of the many other available sealants. My engine is the AGR which uses the exact same sump as the ALH and many others.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Great writeup! This will help many others, many thanks. I don't know how bathroom silicone sealant will hold up to temperature and oil/grease exposure so I think the FAQ article will recommend an auto-specific sealant :)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh I've used it many times as do a lot of garages but I was thinking that it would be better to have the proper sealant listed but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
The VW sealant is white Hylomar... not always easy to find (except for the dealers - and we all know what they do to the price...)

I don't know if you have Permatex products over on your side of the 'pond, but their "Ultimate Black" RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) sealant easily withstands the heat and oil condtions... (Needless to say, one should wait at least 1/2 hour before filling the crankcase with oil...)

That said, in the "old" days I used to use GE "Silicone Seal" - which is basically what you used...

Yuri.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I left it all night until the following afternoon before the final tightening of the bolts and filling with oil to be sure, I didn't fancy trying to clear silicone out of the oil system.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts