VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless I'm able to get my RCD-510 to play nice with my iPod/MDI connection, I think I'm probably going to have to replace the head unit in the car with an aftermarket product. Can anyone offer any suggestions for a good replacement? I like the Pioneer touchscreen units, they have a good reputation and multiple installers have recommended them to me over Kenwood or even Alpine. I'm content with using my iPhone for NAV, so thats not a necessary feature for me. Low key, good quality, and integrates well with iPod, bluetooth and the steering wheel controls. Thanks to all with suggestions.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unless I'm able to get my RCD-510 to play nice with my iPod/MDI connection, I think I'm probably going to have to replace the head unit in the car with an aftermarket product. Can anyone offer any suggestions for a good replacement? I like the Pioneer touchscreen units, they have a good reputation and multiple installers have recommended them to me over Kenwood or even Alpine. I'm content with using my iPhone for NAV, so thats not a necessary feature for me. Low key, good quality, and integrates well with iPod, bluetooth and the steering wheel controls. Thanks to all with suggestions.
If you're sure you're going to stay with iPhone, I'd go with the Pioneer AppRadio. It uses the iPhone for some of its features, such as nav. I just recently switched from an iPhone 4 to an LG Thrill 4G so I'm glad I've got the AVIC-Z120BT instead (AppRadio wasn't even out when I bought mine).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the AppRadio, but my primary music source is an iPod Classic and from what I understand, the AppRadio only works with iOS iPods/iPhones. Did you do your own install on your Pioneer? How many electronic modules did you have to use to get the Pioneer to play nice with the steering wheel controls and the car's computer?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like the AppRadio, but my primary music source is an iPod Classic and from what I understand, the AppRadio only works with iOS iPods/iPhones. Did you do your own install on your Pioneer? How many electronic modules did you have to use to get the Pioneer to play nice with the steering wheel controls and the car's computer?
If that's the case, then just toss in a Z120 or Z130 and the iPod in the glove box and you're golden. These head units have the best iPod integration of any I've ever seen and the UI is very slick.

I did do my own install. I used a PAC Audio wiring adapter and their SWI-PS box to talk to the head unit in place of a remote. You pretty much need to do the C2R-VW2 harness because it reads the CAN BUS and provides signals that would have you pretty much tearing out half the interior to pull to the head unit otherwise. Of course, I wound up pulling out half my interior anyway while wiring up my amp rack and sub.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a fantastic install, what speaker line did you go with? I've been to one pro shop and they were strongly recommending JL audio amps and Focal K2 speakers up front. They also recommended a sub just like yours, hiding in the back. About $3000 worth by the time it's all said and done. My woes with the head unit and needing a replacement will make it nearly $4000. I'm not anxious to spend so much, even though music is my thing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's a fantastic install, what speaker line did you go with? I've been to one pro shop and they were strongly recommending JL audio amps and Focal K2 speakers up front. They also recommended a sub just like yours, hiding in the back. About $3000 worth by the time it's all said and done. My woes with the head unit and needing a replacement will make it nearly $4000. I'm not anxious to spend so much, even though music is my thing.
Shop around, haggle, they can do way better than that. I'm running Focal Polyglass 165VR3's up front and Infinity Kappa Perfect's (made by Harman Kardon) in the rear. I didn't like the K2's as much. They're a lot more expensive and I actually thought they sounded too sharp to be natural. I think I got the Focal's for $600, the Kappas were $65 and sound as good, they just aren't available in a 3 way version. The sub, a Kicker CVT8, was also about $60.

The amp is a JL MHD900/5 (marine version of the HD900/5, just happened to get a smoking deal on it) which has a vinyl wrap job on it. I agree with going with JL, but I'd add stick to the HD series. The reason is that it's a very clean solid state amplifier. Very high damping factor so you don't need a big sub, which you can't fit without giving up significant cargo capacity, to get big sound, and it runs cool so you can pack it into a small space like I did. The box is fiberglass a back and a wood face. The amp rack is made from the same wood. Both are wrapped in about $5 of Walmart automotive carpet.

It was less than $1500 for everything, and another $1000 for the head unit, which I got the week they came out and nobody was selling them for less than $2000. Of course, now you can build the whole stereo I've got for less than $2k. Labor was free, as my best friend and I did the install ourselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts