VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
See the FAQ for the writeup: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q.htm

This writeup shows how to replace the strut, bearings, spring, mount, etc.

Many pics are mirrored but were edited and resized. The writeup also includes part numbers and links to vendors so you can compare prices. Note that some vendors include free shipping on some parts and some include bearing/mount sets and some are just bearing or mount separately.

I didn't include links to struts because you can buy them anywhere, the parts section was already huge, and because I can't recommend what shock absorber feels good to you. Some people like a firmer ride, some prefer soft.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't worked on the NB but I searched and this is from a post I found. There is some trim blocking the upper nuts.

1) remove windshield washer arms
2) remove rear rubber hood seal strip
3) starting at one end, lift up on the plastic trim at base of windshield. It will separate from the windshield seal. Peel up across the width of the windshield and remove. Careful, can be fragile.
4) You will see a metal "shelf" assembly. Remove one bolt at each corner (10mm head), and one at the support bracket about midways.
5) Remove the two acorn nuts that secures the N75/N18 mounting bracket. Pull bracket off studs
6) Release the two plastic retainers for the vacuum tubings
7) Pull metal shelf forward over engine bay and remove.

Installation is reverse of removal. Be careful putting the plastic trim back in place. Start at one corner, and make sure the lip is in the groove of the windshield seal. Push down firmly and feel it "seat" in the groove. Move across the width of the windshield and push into place. Resist the urge to pound on the trim, as you will break the windshield.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Broken link - not found

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a4/strutinstall.htm

This writeup shows how to replace the strut, bearings, spring, mount, etc.

Many pics are mirrored but were edited and resized. The writeup also includes part numbers and links to vendors so you can compare prices. Note that some vendors include free shipping on some parts and some include bearing/mount sets and some are just bearing or mount separately.

I didn't include links to struts because you can buy them anywhere, the parts section was already huge, and because I can't recommend what shock absorber feels good to you. Some people like a firmer ride, some prefer soft.
Hi all !!

I was considering replacing the shock and struts on my daughters '99 Beetle and was looking for info when I came across this promising post - thing is the link is no longer valid ...

I know this post is a little old but could the link be updated so that the information can be still be used ???

TIA
Bill G.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all !!

I was considering replacing the shock and struts on my daughters '99 Beetle and was looking for info when I came across this promising post - thing is the link is no longer valid ...

I know this post is a little old but could the link be updated so that the information can be still be used ???

TIA
Bill G.
Hello, the site URL were reorganized. The current links are in the top of this forum and in the FAQ linked at the top. See there and you'll find many more useful articles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts