VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Strut Interchange help! MK3 to MK4 upper strut mount

I want to install these red konis they say 1992-99 and I see that the kyb's go 1999-05 mine is a 2000 so I am perplexed? searched and searched need a expert opinion...I see the upper strut mount is different on late mk3's, is it they same as mkiv's can I just use my mkiv mount I already have ? google it

·
Registered
278 Posts
It looks like the konis are for mk3 and the kyb is for mk4. If yours is a 2000 it's a mk4. 1999 was a change over year where they introduced the Jetta, 1999.5 was the first year of the mk4. I would use new mounts since they sag over time and are so cheap. According to the FAQ the part number is 1j0 412 311c.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for the unclear question... I guess my question was can I use the Konis as long as I use the MKIV top?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I took your advice and googled it :) and mk3 and mk4 struts are not interchangeable. I know they make red konis for mk4 because I've installed them. FYI I would start the konis at the half way adjustment at a minimum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took your advice and googled it :) and mk3 and mk4 struts are not interchangeable. I know they make red konis for mk4 because I've installed them. FYI I would start the konis at the half way adjustment at a minimum.
Diff manufacturers had a overlap in the 99 year so I figured maybe that the top was the only diff since it was also changed mid mkiii, and might be compatible with mkiv...doy :) Probably goin with the KYB AGX now...thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts