VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL, does anyone know why my car randomly emits a very strong diesel smell or some other type of fume smell almost like standing near a barbecue pit?? I have no leaks and the car’s temp never goes above it’s normal operating temperature.

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

Check the exhaust system for leaks.

Thread moved to the correct section as OP can't read sub forum titles. ;)

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Does it happen every several hundred miles? Are both fans in the engine bay running while it happens? If so, the car is doing a DPF regen and it can make some pretty funky odors. Best thing to do is take it out on the freeway for 15 minutes or so and do the regen properly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it happen every several hundred miles? Are both fans in the engine bay running while it happens? If so, the car is doing a DPF regen and it can make some pretty funky odors. Best thing to do is take it out on the freeway for 15 minutes or so and do the regen properly
My car only has 81k miles and it happens here and there but not frequently; when it does occur the smell is very strong almost like fumes from lighter fluid a barbecue pit that blow upward by the front doors from underneath the car. I have checked for leaks under the car but nothing was found. There are also no warning lights or abnormal operating temps.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
My car only has 81k miles and it happens here and there but not frequently; when it does occur the smell is very strong almost like fumes from lighter fluid a barbecue pit that blow upward by the front doors from underneath the car. I have checked for leaks under the car but nothing was found. There are also no warning lights or abnormal operating temps.
A DPF regen is a normal thing and VW doesn't have a dash indicator (like most other companies do) to tell you when a regen is in progress. Mine will often smell like tar or sometimes even chlorine during a regen cycle if I am not moving at the time. You won't see any rise in temps unless you have an FIS or other way of monitoring your EGT and DPF temperatures. The only way you will know is the smell and both fans running. If you are driving in town you might notice almost a hesitation or stutter while driving as it injects raw fuel into your exhaust and on the freeway you won't notice anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A DPF regen is a normal thing and VW doesn't have a dash indicator (like most other companies do) to tell you when a regen is in progress. Mine will often smell like tar or sometimes even chlorine during a regen cycle if I am not moving at the time. You won't see any rise in temps unless you have an FIS or other way of monitoring your EGT and DPF temperatures. The only way you will know is the smell and both fans running. If you are driving in town you might notice almost a hesitation or stutter while driving as it injects raw fuel into your exhaust and on the freeway you won't notice anything.
Thanks for the info and yes I noticed the stutter/hesitation when accelerating from a stop while the smell was present; so this is normal behavior during the regen process?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Thanks for the info and yes I noticed the stutter/hesitation when accelerating from a stop while the smell was present; so this is normal behavior during the regen process?
Yes especially since the dieselgate software fix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts