VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the timing belt twice on my Jetta and was replacing the lifters and stripped the threads on the engine mount bracket. I think 60Nm + 90 degrees was a bit too much this time around. Has anyone had any luck with heli coils? or have folks replaced the bracket

Thanks for the help

Yogi

·
Registered
175 Posts
The aluminum engine mount? The timing belt writeup suggests a different torque spec because of this. I also found that it tends to strip if the engine's weight is on it too much. I wouldn't risk helicoiling it because it's holding up the engine.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Helicoils are plenty strong. The original mount is aluminum. Yes, they tend to strip, raising the engine enough so that the weight of the engine isn't on the mount helps avoid stripping. The timing belt writeup on this site also suggests a new spec (74 ft-lb) which should be lower than the original spec.

You could also helicoil it now and replace it when you get the chance. The part number for the mount is VW# 038 199 207 h. 1st vw parts sells it for about $95. I would not buy a used one since the problem is damaged threads on the mount.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Stripping is a common problem, the above tips really do help. Helicoils will work fine in the aluminum mount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, decided to choose the heli coil option, waiting for the coils. This time will just tighten the bolt to 100Nm without the 1/4 turn.

Thanks again

Yogi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts