VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys ,

Can anybody tell me If they have come across this before . When I start my TDI I hear a whooshing sound as if fuel is passing through a pipe. To me it sounds like an airlock but I ain't got any of the symptoms . I haven't heard this sound on any other diesel car. Should I be worried.

Confused

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Is your engine a PD? It could be air getting purged out of the fuel lines when the engine is primed. Could be air stuck in the heater core but that is only after the engine starts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea Its a PD. it only lasts for a second just before the engine turns. Its not preventing the engine to start as starts on the button. Just curisous what is making the sound.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Try turning the key to ON but not START. If you hear it, it's air bubbles in the fuel lines. After the engine is started, let it run for a minute, then shut off. Let it rest for 30 seconds or a minute and try again. If no sound, it means the bubbles were run out. If it's bubbles, check for any air leaks at the tandem pump gasket (or staining) and check all the fuel clamps and hoses.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there is a leak in the fuel line or tandem pump could this also cause a limp mode scenario as It happens with the car once in awhile, I have been told that it might be sticky vanes on the turbo or the actuator but could a leak cause it to. I will try and check it out tomorrow and let you know what I find .Thanks for the valuable info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried what you suggested chittycittybangbang and after I try it second time there is no sound ,so I reckon it is purging itself but if you go back to it again say around 10 mins the noise is back again. Now I have checked all the fuel lines in the engine bay and the tandem pump and all looks well .I may look at the lift pump but I would reckon you would smell diesel in the car ,if there was a leak at this point. Like I said before It doesn't seem to affecting the running of the car.
Thanks again for the pointers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts