VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Strange sound/noise coming out of somewhere in the front of the car (getting louder over time)

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  KCl94 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here and I would appreciate it a lot if you guys could help me out to find out what's wrong with my car. I hope it's okay to post here!

So this is my very first Passat TDI. Two days ago, when driving from A to B I started noticing this weird noise which I don't even know how to describe. I am attaching two YouTube links (so you guys can listen to the strange noise) and hopefully guide me through the process of getting this fixed (or at the very least, tell me what could the reason be for this weird noise).

I want to add that I bought this car with a MIL code (p023A: Coolant pump) and due to current circumstances, I have not had the opportunity to have this issue fixed. Is it possible that there is a connection between the noise in question and the MIL code? Thank you all!

This is the first video I recorded. The noise "hides" when the music is playing.

The noise is getting louder and it can still be heard even when playing music.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

There is nothing in those video's that show any useful noise.

VAG Error Code: 13865/12352

EOBD II Error Code: P023A

Fault Location:
Turbocharger Intercooler Coolant Pump - Open Circuit - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Possible Cause:
Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s).
Turbocharger intercooler coolant pump.
Thermoswitch for Coolant Pump/Turbocharger (F98).
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

• Helpful
Reactions: AG-Admin
#3 ·
Hi Keith, thanks for your reply and sorry for the inconvenience!
There is nothing in those video's that show any useful noise.
Just to make sure we are on the same page: By "nothing useful" do you mean that the slow-breath kind-of noise does not mean anything could be broken or malfunctioning? Or were you not able to hear this noise? Sorry for the terrible description but I don't know how to properly describe it.
Thanks!

#5 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here and I would appreciate it a lot if you guys could help me out to find out what's wrong with my car. I hope it's okay to post here!

So this is my very first Passat TDI. Two days ago, when driving from A to B I started noticing this weird noise which I don't even know how to describe. I am attaching two YouTube links (so you guys can listen to the strange noise) and hopefully guide me through the process of getting this fixed (or at the very least, tell me what could the reason be for this weird noise).

I want to add that I bought this car with a MIL code (p023A: Coolant pump) and due to current circumstances, I have not had the opportunity to have this issue fixed. Is it possible that there is a connection between the noise in question and the MIL code? Thank you all!

This is the first video I recorded. The noise "hides" when the music is playing.

The noise is getting louder and it can still be heard even when playing music.
Does this car have a DMF (dual mass flywheel)? Check it out. If it's the problem, must be fixed immediately. No cheap--hope it's something else!

#6 ·
Does this car have a DMF (dual mass flywheel)?
I think it does have a flywheel but can't tell whether it is a dual-mass or a single, solid plate. I did a bit of research on the problems related to this part. I "learned" that one of the common symptoms is having problems when switching gears. As of today, my car is driving the exact same (zero problems while driving) as before I noticed the noise (just FYI).

Also, I don't know if this will help you guys but I just can't hear the noise from outside the car. This noise is only noticeable INSIDE the car, I even assumed it could just be the CD player!

Any ideas/suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.