VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 jetta tdi, and I've started to hear like a "chuffing" sound when I start the car cold, however it seems to go away when warmed up. The chuffing is like a rhythmic puffing of air, and a slight rattling. Much more noticable on tick over, but I think it still exists at higher RPMs.

I read an earlier post that led me to believe it may be the timing belt (tensioner). It was well over due at 94k so I went ahead and changed it. Since then, the sound seems to be a little worse if anything.

I had a pre purchase inspection when I bought the car and I know the EGR valve was worn, but didn't need replacing at that time. As far as I understand the EGR valve is used to recirculate the hot gases when the engine is cold to reduce emissions, so was thinking may be this could be whats causing the sound?

Had anyone had any similar problems? Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
When you changed "it", it wasn't just the tensioner right? It was the belt, rollers, and water pump too?

It could be the EGR. It could be a boost leak. It could be an EGR leak - check for sooty oily spray on the back of the engine. It could be an exhaust leak. It could be worn cams. Hope this narrows it down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I changed belt, rollers and water pump.

Thanks for responding, I'll try and check these items. Are there any specific ways of testing the EGR valve?

·
Registered
59 Posts
When you changed "it", it wasn't just the tensioner right? It was the belt, rollers, and water pump too?

It could be the EGR. It could be a boost leak. It could be an EGR leak - check for sooty oily spray on the back of the engine. It could be an exhaust leak. It could be worn cams. Hope this narrows it down.
I know that your post is very old. I am having that puffing sound that you describe in your post on my 06 Jetta. Were you able to diagnose it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts