VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently noticed the high-beam indicator is lit on the dash no matter which position the lever is in. At the same time (I think, don't drive at night much) none of the headlights work (high or low beams). The amber driving/turn signals work. Fuses are good and voltage is at the headlight connector when the switch is turned on. Pretty stumped. Any ideas what to check? Thanks.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Maybe the switch or a relay or a bad earth? I'm not sure but something to look at. Get someone to operate the headlights while you look to see if anything is happening.:)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
If you have voltage at the headlight connector but no lights have you tried replacing the bulb?

It might be possible for the headlight high-low beam switch to fail but it should fail in either high or low beam. THere is a writuep for clicking turn signal in the FAQ, you can use that to take apart the lever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What headlight connector are you testing, the actual headlight socket, headlight assembly plug, or headlight switch? IIRC the high beam light can be on because a bulb is out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The connector I am testing at is on the back of the headlight assembly. Three of the leads seem to be grounds; the other three will light up the test probe as various switches are engaged (lights on, high beams on). Had tested at the fuse panel first, pulling fuses and checking for voltage as the switches were moved. Have pulled one bulb to check for being bad. Guess I should check them all. Could 1 bad bulb cause them all to not light? Bad design if so. Thanks for the input.

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the problem seems to be fixed :bowdown I pulled the bulbs (only 2 as the low & high are in the same bulb). The connector that plugs onto the back of the bulb was melted a little on both lights. Actually some of the insulation was melted on two wires of the right connector. I scraped the pins on the bulbs and sprayed with contact cleaner and did the same with the connectors. Put some electrical tape on the wires, reinstalled everything and the lights work again.

Some bad connections making things heat up? Don't know but might look into getting new connectors but would probably have to replace the entire headlight assemblies. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've been having trouble with my dash lights coming in and of. When I'm driving home at night the dash lights will flicker. When I try to turn on the headlight switch the dash lights won't Come on. I replaced the headlight switch and it still comes on when it wants to. It's a 02 vw jetta. Could the dimmer switch cause this problem?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
welcometomyturbodies! also I recommend next time to create your own thread.

Almost sounds more like a battery grounding issue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts