VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 New Beetle TDI that I purchased new. In over 10 years, I never had a problem fueling it. All fueling station nozzles fit.

Fast forward - I purchased a '10 Jetta SportWagen TDI in November.

I have purchased diesel fuel 3 times now - AND NONE OF THE NOZZLES FIT!
Unfortunately, there are not many filling stations around this part of northeastern PA that even offer diesel.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I just stupid? Is there a trick to this?

Picture of fuel intake attached.

Thanks,

Harry

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you're stupid, then I'm dumber [g]. I had a '77 Rabbit Diesel and the opening was wide enough to reach down (almost). My first attempt at fueling my JSW produced a small tsunami of fuel all over the fender [grrrrr].

What I have learned is that the smaller nozzles - not the big truck ones - do indeed fit, but you need to wrestle a little to get them in there sufficiently to allow the automatic shutoff to work properly.

I'm hoping the plastic restrictor will wear a little and make this less of a hassle as time goes on.

-dan

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The small ones should work fine. The plastic restrictor is designed to not let you use the big ones. Some people have made a funnel neck to use the big ones but I would not want to handle a diesel soaked funnel and then put it in the car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As mentioned previously, the big nozzles won't fit. Your Beetle had a filler that fit both big and small nozzles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just went to fill up my new 2010 JSW TDI for the first time (just got it last weekend) and the only place in town that has diesel uses those big nozzels at both their truck filling station and the one only an auto or regular size pickup could go to. I had to hold the thing in there and feather it. Would not even work on the first locking position. Then it kept foaming up, finally after the third time it foamed I let it settle down then looked inside and it looked as if the fuel was all the way up the top of the neck so I stopped. Then I get inside and turn it on and it was only 3/4 full. From reading the replies above it looks like I am in for a PITA each I need to fill up. The ultra low sulphur said it was mixed 50/50 on the pump right now. Not sure if that added to the foaming problem. Temp was 20 deg F at the time I was filling up.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Foaming is a standard occurence with diesel fuel.

As to the nozzle sizes, the newer diesels have a safety flap in the filler port that prevents using the big truck nozzle AND the smaller unleaded gasoline nozzles. (This to prevent using the wrong fuel by accident.) If the nozzle is too small (e.g. unleaded gasoline), the flap won't open to allow the nozzle into the fuel filler neck. BMW, Audi and probably VW sell an adapter to get around this in an emergency. It's not the kind of thing I would want to use all the time, as you'd be keeping something reeking of diesel fuel in your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem. This morning was my 3rd fill up since I have bought my new Golf. I keep thinking that the next time will be easier. I feel like an idiot standing there holding the nozzle while it keeps foaming up and out. When I try to leave the nozzle in the tank to use the automatic shut off valve it seems like it would fall out. Any advice as to making it easier would be great.

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
I've read about this problem on another forum it appears that the truck nozzles in the US are bigger than the other diesel nozzles thats why they don't fit.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Only put the nozzle in far enough to hold it in place and don't fuel at the highest setting. Slow and easy works without problems. I've fueled up probably a 100 times with our two 09's and only experienced a problem once. That was the first time I fueled. After that its been no problem.

dweisel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Diesel Fuel "Types"

While driving the Interstates in Indiana, diesel fuel for trucks is advertised 30% less than what it costs at the pumps that cars use. Is that diesel any different than the low sulphur one? Why do some of the truck pumps have a bigger nozzle? I realize that it is to prevent cars from using this fuel but, is there any difference in the fuel or is this a money (TAX) issue? I am a little confused!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Larger nozzle means more flow. Trucks have 100+ gallon tanks larger nozzles will fill them faster. As for price next time look at the label. Could be 2D B5 B20 will be different price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts