VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I've got a 2006 Golf 5 without MFSW. I have decided to retrofit a MFSW with No DSG Paddles from a GTi to my car. I have read many forums and I think I know what I need to make this work. I suppose that many of the guys on this forum has retrofitted this before...?

Some details about my car: 2006 Golf 5, with cruise control & full MFD and No DSG...

After reading the forums I know that I must replace my steering wheel control module. Because my car is a 2006 model I recon I will have to get the control module 1k0 953 549 with version suffix [AJ or AC].

My question is if I fit the control module 1k0 953 549 version CD to my car, will it work? this model version is more common and easier to find :)

i hope there is someone out there that can help me,

thanks guys :)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The way I understand it, I don't think it will but I'm not sure. There are 2 main types of software versions for SW modules: below and above 0110. Your 2006 uses one that's below 0110 for sure. You also have to be aware of clockspring differences. The safest way to replace the SW module is to first:

check what SW module software version you have. Then look through the ross tech wiki linked in the steering wheel article and find one with about the same software version range and that has the same type clockspring (slipring). I know AJ will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chittychittybangbang,

thanks for the quick reply. I just popped in the VCDS and it says i have the version AF [see picture below]

checking the ross tack wiki page, my current module is as follow:
part numner: 1K0-953-549-AF
slip ring: Type 2
software level: SW 0070
varient: Midline
steering angle sensor: Yes

i understand now, i managed to find a AJ...thanks....
oh, one more question...with the AJ i will still have cruise control? yes?
i will ask again if i have any more question

thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It should since I have an AJ. I'm not looking at it right now but the AJ should use slip ring type 2 and other than that, I don't see why it won't work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks,
i just hought of something else: the airbag harness? im not sure which harness i have, must i first remove the airbag before i can see which one i have? since im going to get a MFSW i suppose i will have to change the airbag harness...

if i understand it correctly my car will have the dual wires and thats the wires i need for the retrofit? im not sure :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the quick reply. im just waiting for my stuff to arrive and if i have another problem i will most definately ask :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts