VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi pals,
My mk3 1.9 tdi golf just failed its mot :( due to the fact that the steering rack has so much play in it. now ive been told i should replace it but i dont really know where to start, i have the haynes manual for the car and have looked though that but i would most appreciate it if anyone has any hints tips for replaceing the unit.
cheers
john

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Is it really the steering rack or is it the steering that has play?

If it's the steering then try replacing the inner and outer tie rods. The outer tie rod ends connect to the wheel knuckle, the inner connects to the steering rack. Keep the rods the same length to minimize the alignment difference. Then get an alignment and see if steering is better.

Some other problems could be a loose steering rack - loose mount or bushings or bad ball joint. Once you disconnect the tie rod ends it should be obvious if the steering rack is loose. Replace these and then test for a bad ball joint - hold the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position - at the very top and bottom and shake it. A bad ball joint may show up with this test. All of these can contribute to loose steering.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts