VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So dash & everything comes on, start the car and then dies right away.

I used to see this in the mk4s when the key "fall out of sync", you could turn ignition over but it wouldnt start. But on the mk4s you could just leave key in ignition for 10minutes and it would fix the issue (would only usually have to do once). Does anyone know if its same thing on these?

No check engine code, dont have a scanner.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it. It still does it occasionally, seems if I just crank it over longer itll catch. But today dash turned of and then back while trying to start it. Beginning to think maybe battery is on its way out and giving me funny signs. No voltmeter. Ill see how next week or two goes but maybe grab a new battery or meter to hang on to just in case.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Voltmeters are cheaper than batteries, and can be used on many jobs. Get one of those first. Also, should it become necessary to remove the battery, also remove the battery box and clean the grounds under it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Voltmeters are cheaper than batteries, and can be used on many jobs. Get one of those first. Also, should it become necessary to remove the battery, also remove the battery box and clean the grounds under it.
That's true that a hand held volt meter is cheaper than a battery but in order to test it correctly a second person would have to hold the voltmeter probes to the battery while someone cranks the car to see how much of a voltage drop their is under load. Even cheaper would be to take the car somewhere like Autozone and have the battery load tested. They should be able to do that with the battery still in the car and their is usually no charge for this test.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure where to find a load tester out here but ill take a look soon. Take a look @ video and see what you think.
Almost have to hold it and really crank it for it to go.
Engine was warm. Outside temp 25 degrees Celsius.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So issue is still intermittent, I dont think its battery related. If I just hold the key and crank the car it starts. Weird.

BUTTT, when I open the door, I think Im not hearing fuel pump turn on? But If I leave the key in ON position , that would turn the fuel pump anyways correct?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my 2005 MK4 Jetta GLI 1.8T. I heard a some guy got away from that by just removing the chip on the key. Will this work on mine and if not what will be the cheapest way to fix this. Also I wanted to mention that it all happened since my original ECU crashed and I got a replacement just identical to mine but used.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my 2005 MK4 Jetta GLI 1.8T. I heard a some guy got away from that by just removing the chip on the key. Will this work on mine and if not what will be the cheapest way to fix this. Also I wanted to mention that it all happened since my original ECU crashed and I got a replacement just identical to mine but used.
Hi, you posted in the mk5 section although the basic issue is the same. You need to get the SKC and match the ECU using VCDS or take it to the dealer. Not many mechanics can work on this. It will not work otherwise. You could also have the ECU chipped to delete the immobilizer. If you use a bypass box it'll get you moving but you won't pass inspection in CT. See the immobilizer FAQ for details, removing the chip in the key will do nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks man I really appreciated. I did bought a key deprogrammer SBB Silca, but is not working right. Sometimes it tells me that it looses connection with the ECU and sometimes it says is wrong PIN # even though I use the one them machine find for me. I get two different codes and they don't work but the manual also says that if I have any kind of error codes it won't work. I try to reset the codes and even though the machine says they are clear the pop again. I feel like I'm going in circles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fixed today! Was the battery.. Guess some early signs appear similar to immobilizer issue. Battery costs 189$ ! Australia is rip off, use to buy these for 60$ new in canada :(
Did this happen all the time or only when the car was hot? I'm having the same intermittent problem but only when the car is hot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i would use the car every morning and noticed it was usually worse then (had difficulty holding a charge I reckon). Maybe your issue is it has an issue recharging - so you start it once (depletes the battery), drive for a little while and then go to start it again and shes already semi-depleted?

quick diagnosis ? If you dont have a load tester / voltmeter either, just hook the charger up to it and set it up "START" setting or jumper cable onto someone else's battery... If she starts instantly without your current problem I think its safe to say its the battery.

Normally, whenever I see major electrical issues in past cars I replace the battery automatically - but over here they are so damn expensive so I waited haha. Ive seen bad batteries cause very strange symptoms

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help. I am having the same issue. I parked my car for 10 months due to a bad camshaft. I finally replaced it, it all worked fine, started right away. The car is driving like a champ and starting right away every time (that the engine is not hot). When I stop the engine after driving for a while and I want it to star again It'll give me this same problem, stalls after 2 seconds, but if I hold the key and keep cranking it stays on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts