VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

starter relay

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  adio8373 
#1 ·
in general, what would cause a relay to burn out. this is out of my 91 jetta diesel. i came out one night to start it up, turned the key and waited for the glowplugs to go out, turned the key and there was nothing, no solenoid no clicking nothing. ended up pop starting it, but it turns out the problem was the starter relay. what can make a relay burn out?

#2 ·
Well the normal cause would be excessive current in that circuit. As you may know a relay reduces the switching current allowing a larger current to be switched. Therefore you need to check the current draw the easiest way is with a clamp meter as you don't have to disconnect anything as you do with a normal amp meter to connect in series. Then you have to find which component is drawing the excessive current. ;)

#3 ·
what is relay 60 in a 1991 jetta diesel? i cannot find a test procedure anywhere such as an ohm check. i hear the starter relay click when the key is turned but relay 60 makes a constant clicking sound of being energized and de-energized. i have a multi meter to use but no access to a clamp meter. any suggestions?

thanks, justin

#4 ·
nevremind! i found out the battery was so low when the glow plugs were turned on it was drawing so much power the relay would de-energize very quick. changed the 3 belts on the 91 jetta and that was a joke. vw has the dumbest set-up with belt tensioning. the starter went alot easier than i thought. the 2 long bolts that mount the starter go through the motor mounts. so a little persuasion and playing with a jack made them slip right in. car runs great now but the alternator belt is the wrong size. project for next weekend haha. thanks again

#5 ·
i found out the battery was so low when the glow plugs were turned on it was drawing so much power the relay would de-energize very quick.
I would have thought that if it didn't de-energize quickly the light would have been on all the time? Plus if the battery was low it would have a slow cranking speed. ;)

#6 ·
I would have thought that if it didn't de-energize quickly the light would have been on all the time? Plus if the battery was low it would have a slow cranking speed. ;)
well thats the thing it didnt crank because the starter was bad. i figured it out though. 3 belts and a starter. the belts sucked because there is no room. ratcheting wrenches worked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.