VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered and received a starter relay for my 96 passat tdi. However there is no corresponding relay in the fuse and relay box. The relay that I received is a 9 pin relay with "175" marked on the top. In my fuse box there is a 4 pin relay marked "18" that is called a load reduction relay. Which of these if the real starter relay?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The load reduction relay is position 4, the one marked 18. What is the problem you're having?

There is no starter relay on the relay panel. Where did you get it from? I think there's a starter interlock for auto transmission cars but there were no automatic mk3 TDI in north america.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I'm often away from the internet for days at a time. I started hearing an occasional clicking noise when I tried to start my car and it seemed to be coming from the area under the dash where the fuse and relay panel is. So I thought that it must be a starter relay. Sure enough a couple of websites listed a starter relay so I bought one. But when it got here I couldn't find a place to put it. After some more research I started to suspect that the load reduction relay might do the job of the starter relay but I've been having a very hard time finding information about this so I turned to this forum to take advatage of the knowledge of the members. Is there such a thing as a starter relay on a 96 Passat TDI? Is it maybe just a bad battery or a dirty battery cable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that I got it.

I put in a new load reduction relay and have been having no problems. However, I kind of believe that it was just a bad battery connection that caused the clicking in the first place. Anyway things are fine now. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts