VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
It looks like some aliasing aka wagon wheel on film effect. Any pattern in flickering of the lights overlaps with the pattern of the film sample rate. The same thing happens if you try to videotape a TV you see flickering bars. At least a cathode ray tube TV, I don't know if the new LCD TVs flicker.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
That is weird. Your explanation makes sense except that car electronics run off DC not AC. There shouldn't be any flickering for the camera to pick up. DC powered lights like a handheld flashlight are constant, AC powered lights like household lighting do flicker. Unless the LED running lights work off AC but that doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully I can clear this up this weekend. My order's placed, but now that they actually have one in stock, I'll test that very car and ask the burning question.

They have another vid of it in on a test drive, and in my opinion, they've made a poor choice of song to turn off prospective female buyers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYu7jxIcPX8

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hopefully I can clear this up this weekend. My order's placed, but now that they actually have one in stock, I'll test that very car and ask the burning question.
You'll enjoy it -- I test drove the Eurospec version a few weeks back, just after putting down a deposit on a well-loaded TDI for delivery in mid-January.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After testing the '09 A3, I was ready to make a purchase. After testing the '10 A3 TDI, I'm blown away. February can't come fast enough.

Incredible turn handling, over-responsive braking, U-turns on a dime, and a fantastic Bluetooth audible phone sync make this an incredible value. :thumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts