VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Jetta TDI 5spd with 175k and still better than 49mpg. Like brand new. One problem though. It stalls during the first 15 minutes of the drive but not every day. And no not just when I start from the line in first gear. It is usually at highway speed in 5th gear, in the left lane next to a semi that I am passing slowly. Throw on the hazards, cut him off to get to the shoulder and breathe. 2 minutes later after doing nothing it starts just fine. It can also happen at idle at a light in the Bronx, in a bad ... (you get the point) This might happen three times but after a total of about 15 minutes of driving, it's good as gold. Midas read out the code but I forgot. It indicated bad electrical, either battery or alternator and they tested fine at the shop. I took the fuse block off the top of the battery and cleaned it throroughly after I noticed the positive cable sparked when I touched it. No more sparking but still stalls at the worst time. I have a scanner on order now. Any ideas? Bill

·
Registered
118 Posts
Check relay 109 - it gives power to the electronics. You just have to remove the trim under the dashboard to see it. They updated it but never issued a recall. If it's black, replace it with the new gray relay 109. The fact that letting the car cool down is the classic symptom of an early relay 109 overheating. I'll bet that the glow plug light doesn't light when it's stalled out right? That is a dead sure sign.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Relay is in. Let's wait and see!

Got home last night to find the part at the doorstep but it was 11pm and I was going to wait til the weekend. After it stalled this morning twice on a back mountain road I pulled into a state park and made the swap. The new one is gray but the number is inverted. I hope the new 601 makes a difference. Thanks for the help. :bowdown

1 - 4 of 4 Posts