VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Lately, with only 1800 miles on my 2011 Golf, large, low-frequency suspension cycles cause a kind of low-pitch squeak. Maybe you could call it a groan. I notice it every time I drive the car because my street has those big speed bumps that are about the size of the wheelbase of my car. It's louder when the car is cold, but still noticeable when I return home and the car is warm. It only goes away after a long drive.

It's probably no mystery what's causing it: the bushings in the suspension are less pliable when cold, and make noise as the arms and links swing through their arcs over the speed bumps (or any other low frequency bump). My old car, a 2000 Mazda Protege, did that, but only after 6 years 60,000 miles of midwest winters. I've never driven another car, especially a new one, with such a noisy suspension.

Also, small, high-frequency bumps are causing a distinct rattle in what sounds like the passenger door panel or B pillar. Low-rpm vibration from the engine makes that same part buzz, too.

These things happen over time, but with less than 2000 miles, I'd really like to keep the car feeling new for at least a little while. Anyone else experiencing these issues? If so, was the dealer responsive in fixing it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, did you look to see if the front suspension blockers are still in place? There are pics of the blockers in the golf buying guide.
Actually, I did that the day after I bought it after scouring through your excellent website...just to be sure. Even if I hadn't, I'd have noticed something like that on the test drive. And I'd imagine those suspension blockers would make the suspension unbearably stiff, and would make the front suspension osculations way out of phase with the rear. I'm enough of a car geek to notice something like that on glassy smooth pavement, let alone 1800 miles of Chicago pavement. And just imagine the understeer a blocked front suspension would produce! Mine wags its tail nicely in hard corners until the ESP ruins the fun.

I really think it's just cold bushings doing a cold-bushing groan. But at 1800 miles? My parents '95, 96, and 02 Passats never made such noise through 100K + miles, not that those suspension components have anything to do with mine.

I just wonder if this is one of those unfortunate "they all do that" scenarios, or if I should address this with the dealer

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've noticed similar noises in my '10 Golf w/ 15.5k miles now. Especially the passenger side rattle. I know in my '99 Passat a rattle developed on the driver side door and it seemed to be the door handle got loose enough to rattle. I wonder if it's something similar here...

As for the groaning, I too have noticed it but only over speedbumps or humps or curbs. Not really in street driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rattles

My 2010 JSW TDI can be a rattle trap. Really was from day one. I now have 17k miles and either have grown used to them or they have decreased. Dealer heard the noise from behind the glove box and offered to attempt a fix but I declined for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts