VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

I have a 2004 VW Golf TDI which has started to squeal or whistle when I lightly press on the accelerator. Pick up is still good but if I am travelling at highway speeds and lightly press the accelerator to speed up I get a high pitched squeal or whistle. If I press harder on the accelerator or remove my foot to allow the car to coast the noise disappears. I was thinking either trouble with my turbo or possibly a boost leak but since the problem just started I haven't had time to investigate.

Has anyone here experienced this or could recommend what might be causing the problem.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It could be the alternator pulley. It has a 1 way clutch that sometimes fails. If you remove the alternator belt and use a wood (non metal) stick to counterhold the alternator fan inside, and can turn the pulley both ways the clutch is bad. Replace the pulley.

It could be a bad serpentine belt tensioner.

It could be an EGR leak. Look for sooty spray around the back of the engine. It could be an exhaust pipe leak that is letting the sound out and which doesn't effect performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
G'Day...
I have the same problem on my 2000 GOLF TDI - a relatively light, high-pitched whine from the turbo (I suspect). The whine is generated when lightly increasing throttle depression as you drive along. It is instantaneous and seems to be directly linked to manifold pressure. The garage quoted £1000 to fix it - so it's still whining! Anyone out there fixed this problem before? Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi knapdaleltd

I just had my squeeling problem repaired. Turns out it was a split hose off of the EGR Valve which was leaking exhaust. The split in the hose was difficult to see, but the black deposit from the leaky exhaust was fairly obvious. The repair was less than $500.00 for parts and labour. The hose isn't cheap and the repair takes a little over 2 hours. But certainly no where near the cost you were quoted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts