VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 05 Passat TDI and when the car is in park, or in gear at an idle, when I turn the steering wheel there is a god awful chirping noise. It is a repetitive chirp. When I press down on the accelerator pedal and get the rpms up it goes away. When I have the car running and look down at the belt, it seems to bounce around and have a lot of deflection but under load it goes away. I put a wrench on the tensioner and it moves with resistance so I am wondering if it may be the belt or the tensioner? Anyone else have this situation that can help?
Also, if it is believed to be the tensioner does anyone have removal and installation information?
Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I don't have that model passat but it sounds like a belt/tensioner problem.

My guess of what's happening: when you turn the wheel, it puts more load on the steering fluid pump. That's enough to make it chirp. If it's a light chirp chirp, then replace the belt and see what happens. If it's a loud squealing like arrrrrrrrrarrrraarrr, then check for fluid leaks because that's a major belt slipping.

A diesel has more abrupt power pulses so this can wear out the serpentine belt system faster than a gasser.

So check for fluid leaks and replace the belt. If it comes back then replace the serpentine belt tensioner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not a constant whine like gears would make. I put a stethoscope on it and most of the noise was coming through the alternator. I removed the belt and started the car and the noise was gone. You can see the belt bouncing around when the engine is at an idle and even more so when the wheels get turned and held in an angled position. As soon as any acceleration is applied it goes away and the belt stabilizes with no deflection at all. I am going to change the belt and fluid and hopefully this resolves the problem.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would doubt it. The noise happens in park and goes away when the accelerator is pressed. I am getting the new belt tonight and trying that first. It is the least expensive of the possible problems, for repair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved! Turns out it is the Alternator pulley that was causing all the noise and belt flutter. The one way bearing in the pulley froze up and after replacing it with a new one.. my engine now has the farmiliar Diesel rattle I have become used to.
I found the fix on tdiclub forums. They have a special tool that they list on there too.
All in all, it wasn't that big of a job at all. I stayed clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts