VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Note - VW didn't end up changing the name. It's still Jetta Sportwagen for 2011 in the US.

As predicted, VW of US announced that the sportwagen will become its own model for 2011. This is because the mk6 2011 VW Jetta TDI will be all new. The wagon will no longer look like or be based off the Jetta. I don't know if it'll still be called the Golf wagon in Canada because that's up to VW of Canada.

I finished a new page listing the difference between the 2009, 2010, and 2011 wagons and split most of the wagon specific info from the mk5 Jetta TDI sedan and wagon buying guide into its own checklist:http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/2011-VW-sportwagen-TDI-buying-guide-2010.htm Each year the wagons got noticeable changes. For 2011, the biggest change is the name and the 9w7 bluetooth module which IMHO, is a big upgrade that will be very noticeable to the customer, unlike some module or component change that 95% of customers aren't aware of or care about.

While it's speculation, I'll bet the wagon still uses the mk5 chassis and components and does not get the mk6 upgrades like thicker quieter glass, different door modules, or chassis laser welding reinforcements. Some tell tales are the mk5 rounder side view mirrors instead of the mk6 pointer side view mirrors that are on the mk6 Jetta and mk6 Golf. While the doors look the same, this is my guess why the new side view mirrors on the 2010 Golf weren't also on the 2010 Jetta. It was more than just bolting on a new part, like the 2010 steering wheel or the RNS 315 GPS that's also optional on the Golf for 2011. My guess is that the 2011 Sportwagen will keep the mk5 side view mirrors until the rest of the car is updated to the mk6 chassis and components. Dynaudio didn't do work on the mk5 chassis so my guess is that the mk6 Jetta could get an optional Dynaudio stereo upgrade but the sportwagen will not until they change it over to mk6.

·
Registered
118 Posts
IMHO, until VW sorts out any reliability problems with the fuel pump I'm holding onto my Golf. Even if 99% of owners never have a problem, 1% is too many.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an update to this post, VW ended up not changing the name. It's still Jetta Sportwagen in the US which I think will confuse more people than changing the name. "So this car is also a Jetta? Why doesn't it look like or have the same features?"

The buying guides and FAQ info has been changed to reflect this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts