VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

very interested in the performance, mileage and cargo space of a TDI sportwagen. but from what I've read here, the TDI isn't all that suitable primarily for short trips. I commute by bus and would use the wagon for running errands around town during the week. probably for trips that take no more than 10 minutes.

I do like to ski, bike and hike, though. but because I carpool on these trips, I typically drive an hour more out of town only about once a month.

what would be the minimum amount of highway driving a TDI would need to keep the clean exhaust system or engine happy? are there any tips for driving a TDI on short trips? could I really damage the car?

my gut tells me a gasser would be more appropriate. but the problem is the TDI sportwagen is so fun to drive! wondering what others in my position have purchased.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

So you've had a test drive then?

I only use mine for 70% local journeys 15 minutes a time so once every 2 weeks I give it a blast up the motorway/freeway and my DPF light never comes on. ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeah I agree, just don't idle it unnecessarily...idling not good for diesels

·
Registered
308 Posts
Very true, but it's particularly bad for a diesel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies.

have there been other threads on this topic? feel free to point me in the right direction. or maybe there is a better forum to post this question in?

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
or maybe there is a better forum to post this question in?
Cheeky sod google it it then or other search engines are available. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't think he was being cheeky.

have there been other threads on this topic? feel free to point me in the right direction. or maybe there is a better forum to post this question in?
No, mk6 is the correct forum. The min amount of driving to keep it clean depends soot loading which depends on driving style and fuel quality and of course there'll be some variance between cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey, easy on the cheeky newbie! but I'll take you up on the google advice.

chitty, is it possible to estimate soot loading? I'd fill with B5 and most of my driving is stop and go around town doing 10 minute errands. once a month I hit the highway to go skiing/biking.

is the clean cycle related to RPMs? could I run it at a higher RPM on a shorter freeway trip to trigger the clean cycle?

thanks again

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You can read soot loading, see the DPF FAQ for more info: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

The clean cycle is a combination of miles since last active regen, soot loading, rpm, and engine temp. I would not worry about it too much unless you are getting the light. Drive more, worry less :) Higher rpm on a shorter freeway trip means faster speed. In addition, running hotter only helps passive regen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts