VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider2010 or 2011 Sportwagen TDI to tow light trailer -- raft(s), frames, oars, gear -- probably with cartop carrier too. I did not find reference to towing or towing capacity here. I did read here that DSG transmission has much reduced tow capacity, but what of the manual? Trailer size approx 4x8 feet, maybe 300 Lbs. with 300 to 500 Lbs. cargo on trailer, 200 Lb cooler in the car, two people.
My 1988 & 1997 Saab 9000s have done this for years, with no ill effects on car or safety in my experience. One must obviously be cautious, conservative and aware of increased stopping distance. :dunno
Long drives on tar roads and interstates followed by dirt roads to get to rivers. Any input is appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I would refer to an owner's manual but I believe a Jetta Sportwagen towing capacity is 1000 lbs. You could ask a dealer to look at one. The car should have no problem towing your load. The brakes on the wagon also use GTI size rotors instead of Jetta/Golf sized rotors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hitches and wiring for jsw trailer are ...

a nightmare given what I've seen here and other websites -- removing bumpers, interior panels etc.
Hitches seem to bolt through body panels, which seems questionable.

Yes ChittyChitty -- towing capacity is 1000 Lbs. with manual transmission.
To replace 1997 Saab 9000 I also consider used (2007) Audi A4 wagon, which has power source at rear cargo area and Curt hitch bolts on the Audi in '30 minutes".

The VW TDI engine is perfect for towing -- lots of torque, but the hitch issue may push me toward the Audi. I hope to find 12 volt power source (for trailer lights/converter) at rear of 2011 TDI JSW -- I go back to Denver later this week to check one out again. There's no bad choice between these two cars, you think ? !!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts