VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am preparing for my installation of my new double din GPS DVD system. I have to find VSS sensor wire, backup light wire, dashboard dimming light wire, and the most important are speaker wires. I have to know which wires belong to each speaker, and which are negative and positive wires. Also, I want to keep my existing 8 (OEM) speakers for now, so what do you suggest how should I wire 8 speakers to 4 outputs on the main unit?

If someone has wiring diagrams for this that would be very helpful. If someone already did this and is satisfied with the sound please let me know what you did.

2005 jetta gls tdi mk4

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Wiring in the eight speakers should be fine as I'm pretty sure you'll find there's bass and treble ones usually in a lot of the vags and they have filters on them to prevent the wrong frequencies from reaching them, even the oem stereo is only four speaker output. Here's one way of finding out which is positive and negative,

http://www.ehow.com/how_5188453_determine-speaker-wire-positive.html

as for which wires are which normally they're grouped in pairs into the back of the stereo, there should be eight wires for the speaker connections to the head unit and if they are as I think then the two outer pairs are the rears left and right and the centre pair are the fronts, you'll have to mess around to finsd out exactly which are left and which are right though, once again on most systems when the plug is in the back of the stereo, the ones closest to the right are the rights and the ones closest to the left arte the left. I'm not 100% on your car but this is what most are like. The other option is google, it's an invaluable tool in these situations.:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Get a small battery like a AA and touch the wires to both ends. You'll hear a click or pop to id each speaker. If the speaker moves out, you have the correct polarity.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Installation was successful, pictures will be here tomorrow.

HD radio is something I tell you, I have never heard this monsoon treble speakers with such clarity.

This JVC unit is outstanding for $652, the only problem with it is that it can't find my house number. werd I have to buy a new house now, but before I buy I will make sure this gps can locate it :dunno

in short:
-you will need 4 special keys to remove OEM radio (found them on e-bay for $5.39 with shipping) then realized that Walmart sells them for $8 if you can't wait.
-radio willl come out easy
no special harness was used (I did not want spend $60+ on some harness for which I will not need half of the wires)

- so first study the diagram on the radio label for speaker polarity pins.
- you will see pins from 1-8
-all black wires on one side of the 8 pin (beige connector) are negative polarity, so connect them with the corresponding wires with black stripe (example violet = +, violet with black stripe = "-" polarity) on your aftermarket unit's harness for RR speaker.
-thick beige wire from the radio harness is ground
-both thick red with white stripe wires are constant 12V so you can pick one
- you will need switched 12V from somewhere (I found one from the headlight switch) push the swithc in and rotate clockwise to remove the swithc. then you will have to splice into the two wires on this connector. Find the last wire in the NW corner of the connector then find the the thick black with red stripe wire in the SE corner of the connector (so the last wire on the upper left and the last wire on the lower right)
- the wire in the upper left is ILLUMINATION wire
-the wire in the lower right is your switched 12V
-remove the plastic cover under the steering wheel (right above your pedals) and run your wires above your pedals to behind the radio, use some tape or zip ties to tie wires for the brake swithc (whatever the green plastic part above the pedals was. I believe it was the brake swithc).
- while you are down there, look above your gas pedal maybe one foot up you will see one plastic plug on the firewall, you can use that plug to run wires into your engine compartment.
- according to all data program, vss wire goes to one connector to the right of the battery ( I found it you will have to remove battery and plastic tray to see it.) Connector is hard to disconnect so don't even try, all you have to do is find the white wire with blue stripe there to splice in your vss wire from your radio harness.
- reverse switch signal I was lazy to investigate since all data for my model and year mentions black with blue wire for reverse light. When I looked for it none of the wires had any black. who cares anyway when will I have to drive more than 50 yards in reverse to care about my gps precise location. This has to do more with backup camera which I don't have.
- oh yes, if you want to verify that you got the right wire for vss, connect it to your DVOM mine was producing ~5.4V when driving and about 11V when at full stop.
- emergency brake wire I bypassed it to the constant ground (don't like to say it really but we all know why)

and that is about it, oh yes and you will have to cut the plastic bracket (one next to the firewall to make more room for the new double din unit and its extra wires) this should make your unit fit flush with the rest of the control panel just like it came out of the factory. The bottom line is that I am happy with my installation and the way it looks and sounds. I would strongly recommend this particular unit!

Note: cage is extra sharp so be ready to leave some DNA traces around that area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts