VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello from a new user!

I was hoping that somebody might be able to help with a problem that I am having with my 1999 Golf Mk4 1.6. I recently lost my main key for this vehicle, which of course, is troubling in its self, but the real problems started when I tried to use my spare to drive the car home. The key will open the door, and start the engine, but it does not disable the alarm/immobiliser.

I'm not really too sure what to do. I have done a little research on the problem, but must confess to being a little mystified as to what course of action to take. Obviously, I'm loathe to shell out £150 + to a dealer to get a replacement key, when I do have a spare.

I do not have the SKC tag, as it was not provided when I purchased the car. What can I do?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Hi bud,welcometomyturbodies. I think the spare key is just for the doors etc and doesn't have the chip in it for disabling the immobiliser. I'm not sure what you can do but this might help if you haven't already seen it.:)

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/immobilizer-VW-Audi-FAQ.htm
Thanks for recommending the FAQ, it has some troubleshooting steps in it. The spare does have the chip for disabling the immobilizer. Refer to this thread for pics: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f8/audi-a4-immobilizer-issue-4631/ I will add some notes to the FAQ article on this suggestion, thanks for bringing it up!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
"The spare does have the chip for disabling the immobilizer"

That's not so bad then, at least that should save a bit of money.:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
You probably had it relearn the remotes but not the spare. Maybe a previous owner? If you add or remove a key you have to have all the keys programmed at the same time or else the ones not present will no longer work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for all your replies! The key definitely has an undamaged RFID chip in it, but clearly is not working. I'll process your responses and see how far I get. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
VW Beetle Immobilizer Problem

My 2006 New Beetle has become immobilized because we used a key that had been lost for a year. In the interim, we had procured a new key. We did not realize the old key would immobilize the car. Now we would like to turn the immobilizer off so the car can be used. I've come to this forum hoping to find an answer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts