VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded or found any good information on upgrading the Premium 8 system in the TDI's? Ideally, I'd like to keep the RCD 510 head unit to preserve all the functionality that's tied into it.

I've searched all over the other forums and there really isn't much info out there. It doesn't seem like people have really been upgrading this system yet, or at least the ones that have are not talking. Some random tidbits I've picked up:

-Some people have reported anecdotes of side airbags going off if the speakers aren't sealed. (!)
-Some say the speakers are standard sized, some say they aren't.
-The headunits may have a factory EQ setting that can be disabled (at least in the RNS 520), this supposedly takes care of the sudden rolloffs at various frequencies that make the system sound so bad. (kinda sounds like bs, why would they do that?)
-There are some devices that take speaker level inputs from the head unit and convert them to line level for a new amp. Some say these work great, some say they result in pops and hiss.

If I had found a car with dynasound, I would have bought it, but that wasn't likely when I was looking. Cost, within reason, is not too much of issue, but I don't want to get too crazy. I'm not looking for huge SPLs, just something that sounds really good for all types of music. Any good installer recommendations for the PNW are welcome, I'm also afraid of adding to the various rattles and creaks I already have.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too would like some info on the factory system (RNS-510 JSW TDI)
Where is the stock amp - is it located inside the 510?
My system sounds shrill, almost as if it's out of phase. However, I used a phase test disc and it indicates the systems phasing is fine.
Thin, harsh sound with little bottom end - not nice considering the price.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i've also thought about upgrading the stereo, but really only because the mp3/ipod navigation is so SLOW. there's no excuse for that especially when you're licensing the apple 20-pin connector anyway...

the other things i'm worried about if i upgrade are losing the steering wheel controls, but supposedly on crutchfield, there are a few stereos that integrate with those. might be another year or so for a compatible one with the mk6 i guess, but it's a comin' (i hope).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Word to you, Mutha! Very nice work, thanks for the info. It's really good news to hear that a HU-only upgrade is good enough. Too bad the RCD 510 doesn't have line level outs, but this is much better than replacing all the speakers.

Regarding the speakers, you have the stock premium 8 system and not the dyna upgrade, right? Just wanted to make sure. I don't know if there are differences here between the US and Canadian markets. My TDI has only the tweets on the door sills and the speakers in the lower front of the doors, I don't see a midrange anywhere (unless it's also embedded in that same part of the door).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts